Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Loss of 12 sqdn RAF Wellington Z8495 6th May 1942

Discussion in 'Allied Aviation Of WWII' started by Foggysenior, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Foggysenior

Foggysenior New Member

I am researching the loss of Wellington MkII Z8495 PH-Q on the night of 5/6th May1942 for a painting I promised to do for our local Returned and Service's League (RSL) here in the Adelaide Hills (South Australia).
    The Captain of the aircraft was an Australian, F/O N.W.Richardson DFC, and his four crew members were:
    F/O A.G. Hersey
    Sgt. T.F.MacGregor-King RAAF
    Sgt. H.A. Ody
    Sgt.E.F.Webb.
    Sgt. MacGregor-King was a local resident. He and the crew of Wellington PH-Q are buried in a collective grave in the Rheinberg War Cemetery, Kamp Lintfort, Nordrhein-Westfal, Germany. I know the aircraft departed Binbrook and the target was Stuttgart but I would like to find out what the bomb load was (I have a suspicion it was a 'cookie') and any details of the colour scheme of the aircraft, eg whether it had the ripple division between the lower black and the upper camouflage on the fuselage and the weather on departure etc. There is no record of what happened to the Wimpy. I am looking forward to completing the painting for the community and also there are very few paintings of Merlin engined Wimpies.
    Any help would be most appreciated. As an aside Sgt MacGregor-King's name will be illuminated at the Australian War Memorial, Canberra on the evening of December 14th this year.
    Many thanks
    Foggysenior

2. Andywis

Andywis New Member

Hello, Foggy
    Your aircraft was carrying a 4,000 lb “cookie” and was shot down by flak.
    I, too, am researching an Aussie - F/S C A Alt also of 12 Sqn. He was a pilot and was shot down on 2/3 rd September 1942 in Z8529. Some sources indicate that the individual aircraft letter was U ( including the ORB) on the day of its loss, which was a bit strange strange as up to that date, that letter (also from the ORB) was stated as H…
    Also a/c Z8523 was, during that time coded U. Maybe some had been entered in error in the reporting / noting during the Form- filling!!
    Was “H” the actual/correct aircraft letter?
    Atb
    Andywis