Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Lost flag

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Josh Robinson, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Josh Robinson

Josh Robinson New Member

This is a long shot I know,my grandfather landed at Omaha beach and fought through france,he brought home a nazi flag on which he and the rest of his platoon signed there names,once back in the united states,he allowed my aunt to take it to school for show and tell(this had to be in the 50's)the story I'm told by my father is that the teacher kept the flag,for the life of me I cannot understand why my grandfather did not go and get it back.i know he was dealing with a bunch of kids and work at the time and not sure why he didnt get it back.this happened at an elementary school in spartanburg south carolina.no telling where it is now or if it even exists anymore.id like to attempt to find it and possibly buy it back.but have no clue where to start.im not sure about the signatures other than his,he wouldve signed it leon robinson or Howell robinson.any idea on where to start this search

2. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums Josh! That is curious your grandfather didn't go back to get it, what you could do is look up Nazi flags in South Carolina and see if any have information about the flag, or an actual picture. That's my only suggestion, good luck with your search!

3. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

It's annoying that the teacher had the cheek to keep the flag!

I'd say your chances of tracing the flags whereabouts are very slim as it's probably now locked away in someones private collection.

However 'never say never' and good luck with you quest.