Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Luftwaffe at Buchenwald

Discussion in 'Air War in Western Europe 1939 - 1945' started by Rhapsody I, Jul 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Fmartini

Fmartini New Member

My dad was one of the airmen at KLB and I am trying to reconstruct the chain of events. Seems to me that Trautloft had several logistical hurdles to overcome if he wanted to evac the KLBers, especially: (1) arranging for a special train to SL III - with LW guards no less - and (2) getting Pfister and his SS superiors to release prisoners whose cards said DIKAL (do not transfer). Not to mention the Goering-Himmler animosity. I suspect there would have been clearance and assistance from the top. Has anyone found any associated paperwork? The NARA German records don't seem to include any. Did Goering ever mention this as an exculpatory act during his interrogations?
    I am also trying to determine why the whole thing was classified Secret until the 1980s; so secret that the 1945 Congressional investigation and the VA considered it never happened.
    Any information/comments will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Frederic Martini

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Very secret and not mentionned on the Luftstalag pows cards. If you have seen some, you'll notice they mention a Luftstalag only , as if the Germans wanted to erase their atrocities.
    What is interesting is that not all of those who were at Fresnes were actually sent to Buchenwald. I wonder why some were eventually transferred to a Luftstalag and others to Buchenwald. could it be because the last train from Paris went to Buchenwald and that rather than leave the Pows at Fresnes, the Germans opted for this radical solution, having only one last train at their disposal in the midst of the August 1944 uprisal chaos.
    As to Goering I'm quite certain the "Terrorflieger" propaganda had some echos at Fresnes and "justified" what could not be justified.

3. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

Great information, Skipper. I sent Mr. Martini's post to Mr. Chasten Bowen for his review. I hope to have lunch with Mr. Bowen and his son, Troy, soon. I also asked if he would be so kind as to sign a picture of himself for you. I will let you know as soon as I find out.

Mr. Martini,
    Best regards to your father, Sir. A great question about Goering's Neuremburg testimony and other interrogations. Surely he would have loved to take the credit for authorizing / aiding Hans Trautloft in his task of getting these men released from the clutches of the SS. In his pathetic hope of leniency from the "Victors".

Skipper likes this.