Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

m1 garand v.s. mauser

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by will clark, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Here's a article that shows you what a bolt action rifle can do in the hands of an expert. I own a few Lee Enfields, a couple of M1'a and a Swedish Mauser. All are very fine rifles.

KTK

Military Thoughts: Snoxall.

2. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

In my area with my language skills, I have looked it up on wiki, on my home dictionary and do not yet know what a "bailey" is
    in this context. I am familiar with the bailey wig which connotes the high esteem of those who wear it in the highest halls of English courts but which has become comical fodder for depictions of things "English" in the New World. Keep in mind my lineage is Hispanic, which may explain what ever it is I am lacking in, to conceptualize this term in reference to firearms. I have a great P-14 action in my group but it has no manner of wigs upon it--in fact the humps at the back have been sawn off to enable closer scope mounting. Can someone stoop down to enlighten me?

3. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

4. mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00 Member

better to just watch "a bridge too far."

5. DRIVER

DRIVER recruit

the k98 was more reliable but was bolt action and the m1 was semi-auto and held more round so m1

6. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

All the technical details are interesting, and in the world of warfare, fairly irrelevant.

If you are a Marine in the South Pacific facing a banzai charge, or a GI going house to house in Europe or Italy, which would YOU rather have?

I'll take the Garand every day and twice on Sundays.

7. Jager

Jager Member

First off I have Mauser ammunition with steel tip. next like you ssaid higher fps in the 30-06 or higher initial velocity but the mauser has higher extended velocity. yes both bullets can kill at ranges beyond 1000 m. but the mauser has more penetrating ability. you dont always shoot someone straight up. in fact rarely. you usually shoot through their cover and a lighter bullet with lower extended velocity has less pen power at long ranges. The M1 garand has alot more kick than the k98 once again from experience. the weight of a gun does not make a huge impact on recoil unless there is a significant weight difference (say HMG versus a hand gun) again gas operated does not make a huge difference and lighter bullet makes no difference. None of these make up for the amount of force applied to the recoil that results in a round that fires 305 fps faster at initial velocity. The FN FAL uses sights similar to the K98 in particular the STG 58 version. The M-14 also has variants that use v-sights. And your reason that the M-1 was not a sniper rifle in WWII being because of the difficulty of mounting a scope is rubbish. Its because it isnt a fit for sniper capabilities. It was used as a sniper rifle in vietnam. Big deal. what tech came out that made it possible to mount a scope? none it just wasn suitable. The Mauser had sniper variants from the time it was conceived to the time it was dis-continued. All rifles eject rounds or clips. the Garand does not eject its clip in any manner that it would be hazardous to a scope (again from experience) and lastly. The G-43 could fire 7.92x 57 or x33mm. In fact I will quote now "There were many small variations introduced on the G/K43 throughout its production cycle. The important consideration is that no changes were made to the rifle design specifically to coincide with the nomenclature change from Gewehr to Karabiner, with the exception of the letter stamped on the side. Careful study of actual pieces will show that many G-marked rifles had features found on K-marked rifles and vice versa. There is therefore no difference in weight or length between the G43 and the K43. Variations in barrel length did exist, but those were the product of machining tolerances, differences between factories, and/or experimental long-barreled rifles. An unknown number of late-war K43 rifles were chambered for the 7.92x33mm cartridge and modified to accept StG44 magazines.[SUP][1]" [/SUP]

8. Jager

Jager Member

1) thats 500 m. and though your numbers might be true (idk) but the trajectory of such a light round over long distances is far different. at that single point in time the mauser might have a sgreater drop. at 1000 m not so. also just to say trajectory is calculated in + or - degrees not " or inch/cm or whatever your measuring it in. Also did the germans follow the geneva? or did hitler say hey its okay to shoot any non-aryan as long as its not with an expanding round. oh yeah i forgot that was nazi policy. I have 8mm and it has expanding tips. yeah there are FMJ rounds as well.
    2) The sniper variants were not in world war II. the rifle was adopted in sniper variants by the army only in periods after world war II. and i do own firearms. in particular my k98 is stamped 1943 serial number M24006848. Heavier and gas operated do not compensate for a round firing 305fps faster initially. there is alot more force used to propel a round that much faster. and if your firing at a quicker ROF (the true advantage of the M1 over the k98) then accuracy is taking even moe of a hit. You are correct there is no official weapons designation of the 1913. It refers to the change in ammunition. 1903 fired M1 and 1913 firing M2.
    3)No? the M1 does not have a greater ROF than the k98? do you really know these rifles?
    4) Different Mausers have different sights including peeps. The v you talk of is the notch which is alot better than the I notch that american weapons use (of course IMO and experience). Peep sights are not more effective. that is completely dependent on the situation and person. The use of peep sights is more or less an american (and others) choice. The Germans still manufacture weapons with their traditional sights. the belgian stg 58 or FN FAL their version uses the same sights. and you do not need to use sights at close range. reason most shotguns arent fitted with much more than a stub sight.
    5) again G43 could fire 8mm or kurz depending on when it was made. Whats with typing in english and then randomly inserting soldaton? And no you clearly dont understand firearms. If your firing at a high rate of fire then the smaller the round, the increased accuracy. yeah if your shooting a single action rifel than the more powerful round the more accurate it will be but not in the case of increased ROF. So are you saying the browning 50 cal MG is more accurate than a k98 becasue it fires a larger round? thats non sense.
    lastly i wont refer to calling names. that is childish.

9. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Jaeger, what the heck are you smoking. You've put out so much crap in the last two posts we might have to put in a sewage treatment plant. Jeeez.

10. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

I am going to go a head and pull the "BS" card.
    Jager please explain where you are getting your information from.

11. Jager

Jager Member

well the quote regarding G43's using kurz is from wiki. what else do you question and i will provide? do you need to see an actual picture of steel tipped mauser? a picture of my mauser? do i really need to go record a field demonstration of the 2 guns and figure a way to post it on here?

12. formerjughead

I was thinking more how you could be a SSgt in the Marine Corps at 21

13. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

And he made Staff Sergeant in a mere two years. That must be some kind of record.

14. Jager

Jager Member

ahhh i see. totally understandable. well the truth is i was actually an E-5 working on E-6. and yes 2 years still pretty fast to achieve that and it was mostly merit based from performance in 2 tours in middle east. Not to mention i was one of the few that actually came back from my tours and continued to study war in my free time instead of go partying and being an idiot. Both tours were in Marga or marja or however you spell it. 2 6 spartan or 2nd bat. 6th. now discharged. was going to go for another enlistment but kind of fell in love and decided to go to school and settle down instead. Might go back in as an officer after i get my degree. haven decided yet.

15. Jager

Jager Member

Any other questions?

16. formerjughead

Not going to cut it for an explanation. Still not even close to being an accurate portrayal of Marine Corps service. Even if you were a "Contract Corporal" ie guaranteed promotion to Corporal (after 18 months) for enlisting for 6 years; there is no way you would have been promoted to E-5 within the same period, as the minimum Time in Service requirement is 24 months with 12 months time in grade as a Corporal. Keep in mind I haven't even touched on the fact that you were discharged after a 2 year enlistment. So please feel free to elaborate on how you managed to fulfill your enlistment obligation and be promoted to Sergeant in two years while in an Infantry Battalion. I'll be waiting patiently for the explanation.

17. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Must not have studied too hard because Marjah (that is how you spell it) is in Helmand Province in Afghanistan. Your profile says your two tours were served in Iraq.

18. formerjughead

I think you have your hands full with what's on your plate.

19. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

It's like watching a car accident in slow motion. You want to look away, but you don't want to miss it.

20. Old Schoolr

Old Schoolr Member

Your post is so full of outright errors that I can't even decide which mistake to point out first... so I won't. Where do you get this kind of information? From PlayStation games? Have you ever seen a real firearm let alone used one?
    Cut the crap man.