Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Made August 1945

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by Milsurp Collector, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Milsurp Collector

Milsurp Collector recruit

This is my Series 35 Type 99 Arisaka rifle. The serial number is 56045, the highest reported Series 35 serial number is 56658:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

According to production records it was made during the first days in August 1945 by the Toyo Kogyo Co. The Toyo Kogyo Co. plant was located approximately 3 miles east of downtown Hiroshima.

On August 6, 1945, a few days after this rifle was made, a B-29, the Enola Gay, dropped an atomic bomb (Little Boy) on Hiroshima, the first use of an atomic bomb as a weapon. Toyo Kogyo ceased all production activities. While damage to company facilities was minimal, because of its location 5.3km from the center, employee morale was devastated. The company immediately opened all facilities and its stock of medical supplies to the public, and devoted all its efforts to rescue activities.

After the war, the Toyo Kogyo Co. resumed production of cars and trucks, and in 1984 Toyo Kogyo changed its name to the same as the nameplate on the vehicles it produces: Mazda.

Mazda corporate headquarters are still located in Hiroshima Prefecture.

SPGunner and mikebatzel like this.
  2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Thanks for the pics. I guess I ought to photo my Type 99. The Chrysanthemum has been obliterated, however.

3. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Very nice pics.

4. thompson

thompson Member

Nice photos

5. SPGunner

SPGunner Member

Very interesting.

6. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

This rifle must have been one captured after production and never deployed to the troops. The Royal Chrysanthemum was always destroyed before the rifles (or other so marked weapon) were surrendered to the Allied forces.

7. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Welcome Aboard.............nice Mum. Very lucky to have one in that condition with such provenance.

8. Stormwind

Stormwind Member

This is a last ditch model Type 99, I really don't advise shooting these. The 'Substitute Type 99' as they were called were really poorly made using the lowest quality materials. You can tell it's a last ditch model by the crude sights and the wooden buttplate, However the bolt doesn't seem genuine, The bolthead were cylindrical on the Last Ditch variant, not plum shaped like this one, the welding and finish on the bolt assembly seem well made too, I doubt hightly the bolt is indigenious to the rifle.