Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Maginot Line

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by SKYLINEDRIVE, Feb 13, 2012.

1. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

The fighing section:

Bloc 1 was another "Casemate d'infanterie" = infantry casemate, it was armed with:

1 X "créneau mixte pour JM/AC47" = interchangeable embrasure for twin machineguns and 4,7cm AT-gun
    1 X "créneau pour JM" = double machine gun firing port
    1 X "cloche GFM" = spotter and machine gun cuppola

Barbed wire entanglement protecting the "Bloc 1"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fighting front of the casemate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The isolator of the radio antenna.

[​IMG]

The armoured protection of the searchlight, note the opened door.

[​IMG]

The "cloche GFM" = spotter and machine gun cuppola.

[​IMG]

Bloc 2 was another "Casemate d'infanterie" = infantry casemate, it was armed with:

1 X "créneau mixte pour JM/AC47" = interchangeable embrasure for twin machineguns and 4,7cm AT-gun
    1 X "créneau pour JM" = double machine gun firing port
    2 X "cloche GFM" = spotter and machine gun cuppola

The casemate's front with the firing ports.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ditch in front of the casemate.

[​IMG]

The two "cloche GFM" = spotter and machine gun cuppolas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Detail of the stamping on the cast iron cuppola.

[​IMG]

The armoured protection case of the searchlight with some interesting details of the sockets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A manmade structure I found just a few meters away from "Bloc 2". I'm going out on a limp now! But it could be the outside of emergency exit shaft, please bear in mind that it's speculation though. Anyhow I'm sure that it is in relation to the fortress!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LRusso216 and GRW like this.
  2. Clementine

Clementine Member

Bunnies? Squirrels? Birds? Really? How odd.

When I began looking at the photos I wondered how well these men handled being in this place for extended periods of time, but you answered that question. Some didn't.

Great photos.

3. Alsa.se

Alsa.se Member

Hello,
    Can someone explain to me how to post multiple photos?
    I understand how to add a response but i can only post 5 photos... ??? (I wish I could do a story on the Maginot Line)
    Thank you for your answers.
    Sincerely,
    Eric

4. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

I was very fortunate in being able to drive through Lorraine and Alsace, beautiful countryside, and was amazed at how often one could fine segments of the Maginot. I realize it was enormous in in length and complexity but I found what appeared to be outpost far from the major portions of the main line, one near Saverne. another near Nancy, a French farmer had a sign posted saying Maginot Line 10 Francs. He had a large redoubt on his land and took us down about 25 meters with flashlights ( OK, OK, torches for the Brits). Then we explored horizontally. Looking out a long abandoned firing port toward Germany across the fields certainly stirs one's imagination. Lots of barbed wire still existing. Lovely to walk through the woods and fields , one almost forgets the horrors that place has seen

SKYLINEDRIVE, thank you very much for your many wonderful images, brought back many great memories, I was there in 1979 and again in 2006. I also appreciated the commentary, maps and layouts. Lots of study to be done. I was not aware the Americans had to assault any of the Maginot. It appears largely to be oriented to the border and would be hard to defend toward the south though it was provided for in places.. I would have guessed the Germans would have withdrawn rather than being trapped there. Exiting the North side would seem more than difficult.The great thing about this forum is the opportunity to learn.

Eric, I hope you get your pictures up ! You live right in the middle of all of this. Kindwiller is well located to study the Maginot. I did go through Phalsbourg, Sarrebourg, and Haguenau and Saverne, mentioned above. Another Forum member lives in Bitche, speaking of fortresses!!!! Appears to be of older vintage. Now I want some good french bread, wine and goat cheese!!!!!

Gaines

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I've never been to the Maginot Line, and will probably never see it in person, but these photos give me a sense of the scale of the place. Thanks for posting them, Skyline Drive. Erich, I hope you get your pictures up.

6. gtblackwell

SKYLINEDRIVE & Eric, both of you know doubt saw the French Sherman sitting just outside Phalsbourg, in the middle of all this. Not my photos but many more of it on Google Earth, just go to Phalsbourg , FR, and enlarge Phalsbourg a bit. It is the second photo icon to the left of the word Phalsbourg. 6-8 images will come up. Enlarge each and keep left clicking to get nice full screen images of good resolution. Some battle scars on the old girl. There is another on the outskirts of Strasbourg with US markings. Historic ground.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

Regarding the drawings, you got to be aware that there wasn't any belligerent feeling in the french society in the pre-war years, most of the people didn't object to being drafted but there wasn't any enthusiasm, any zeal, unlike Germany at the same time or France in1914. This is quite normal if one remembers the horrors the french society had lived through in WWI. So the soldiers wanted to be reminded of home and of peaceful matters, cartoons, especially Walt Disney's work were very popular during that time hence the drawings in the recreational rooms. They can be found in nearly all the big Ouvrages btw.

Do you upload your pictures to the post Eric? I upload all my pictures to a professionel photo hosting website. In my posts I just copy/paste the links from photobucket, if you use that method you can put 24 pictures into one post.

8. Clementine

Clementine Member

That makes sense. It just seemed so incongrous in such a place.

Thanks for posting all of these photos.

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hi Gt , if you want more details about this tank, I have opened a thread about it in 2008 (called alsace 2008 or similar) .I also has several othe rones like the one in Mulhouse . One of the men from the Bourg la Reine came from central France near Montargis , which is south east of Paris. I recall there is a monument in his hometown too.

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You can post as many pictures as you want via a buffer site like photobucket or imageschack. Once you post them there you can copy and paste them here.

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Wonderful new input Sky, the panzered search light is a must, I didn't know such things existed.

12. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

Bloc 3 was a "bloc d'infanterie", it wasn't a casemate, all the components were subterranian. It was equipped with the following armament:

1 X "tourelle de mitrailleuses éclipsable" = retractable machine gun turret
    1 x "cloche GFM" = spotter and machine gun cuppola

Today the surroundings of the block are covered with undergrowth and trees, in 1940 there were no trees and no bushes, the fields of fire were free.

[​IMG]

The "tourelle de mitrailleuses éclipsable" = retractable machine gun turret

[​IMG]

The "cloche GFM" = spotter and machine gun cuppola

[​IMG]

Armoured air intakes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bloc 4 was a "bloc d'artillerie" = artillery block, with:

1 X "tourelle de lance grenade 81mm éclipsable" = retractable 81 mm grenade luncher turret
    1 X "cloches GFM" = spotter and machine gun cuppola

As the previous block this one has nearly vanished under the vegetation.

The "tourelle de lance grenade 81mm éclipsable" = retractable 81 mm grenade launcher turret

[​IMG]

The "cloche GFM" = spotter and machine gun cuppola of "bloc 4".

[​IMG]

Another air vent.

[​IMG]

Bloc 5 was a "bloc observatoire" = observation block, it lies on a spur of the Galgenberg that runs to the south east, overlooking the Moselle river valley and the approach from the german border, it was equippd with:

1 X "cloche VDP" = direct observation and perisopic observation cuppola
    1 X "cloche JM" = cuppola with double machine gun firing port

The "cloche VDP" = direct observation and perisopic observation cuppola lies on the highest point of the spur.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Detail of the cover of the periscope opening.

[​IMG]

Just beneath of the observation cuppola lies the "Cloche GFM".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Air intakes near the "Cloche GFM".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The "cloche JM" lies on the lowest point of the block.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Concrete with stones, meant to recreate the rock of the spur.

[​IMG]

Bloc 6 was another "bloc d'artillerie" = artillery block, it was equipped with:

1 x "tourelle éclipsable pour lance-bombe de 135mm" = retractable tower for two 135mm howitzers
    1 X "cloche LG" = grenade launcher cuppola

The "tourelle éclipsable pour lance-bombe de 135mm" = retractable tower for two 135mm howitzers .

[​IMG]

The "cloche LG" = grenade launcher cuppola.

[​IMG]

The "Cloche GFM".

[​IMG]

And finally, yet another air intake.

[​IMG]

13. gtblackwell

Je vous remercie beaucoup, Skipper. Great thread and additional photographs, that WW2 picture find was fantastic. I cannot imagine how it came to be hit so many times. BTW , your 2008 post was under "French 2nd Armored Division".

I did not think my post was in the right place but I found the Sherman while looking for the Maginot Line and it seemed appropriate. Besides, eric lives just a short distance away.We Americans talk allot about "us" and I was excited to see a true French marked M4. We seem to forget how well the French fought in 44-45. They have long been our allies.

Thank you again for the nice link.

Gaines

14. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

Just about fifty meters to the north of the "Petit Ouvrage de Sentzich", inbetween the P.O. and the "Bloc observatoire" of the Galgenberg is an older observation bunker that dates back to the very beginnings of the Maginot Ligne.
    It was an "Observatoire d'intervalle" = intermediate observatory, with an "Guérite blindée pentagonale" = pentagonal armoured sentry shelter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The "Guérite penatgonale"

[​IMG]

View of the P.O. from the "Observatoire d'intervalle"

[​IMG]

Another few meters up the hill was a "cloche factice" = a dummy armoured cuppola.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. gtblackwell

I continue to be amazed at the great photographs of the existing Maginot line. I call myself exploring it twice but have seen more here and of far greater variety than being there. You would make a good scout.

GB

16. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Attached Files:

17. Alsa.se

Alsa.se Member

good find!
    Thank you.

Eric

18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thanks Gaines the 2nd armored Divsion is another one I will have to look up this 4 year old thread for you . When I find it I'll send you a pm and will post a link here for other who might be interested too