Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Mailly-le-camp may 1944

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Kai-Petri, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

excellent pictures m kenny! At least the bombing was accurate, but so many deaths... I recently read an article in the local paper about a lady who saved one of the Mailly airmen. After the war she made her wedding dress with his chute. Then later this relic was offered to the CAEN Memorial. Imagine here surprise when the museum returned it for a day when she celebrated her 60th wedding anniversary!

2. Donh

Donh recruit

Re Mailly-le-camp raid If you Google Mailly-le-camp commemoration, you will find pics of the Memorial and details of the commemorations for the 65thn anniversary at Mailly on 4thMay 2009

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Cheers Donh, will there be a 101 Squadron delegation again this year?

Something else, I recently bought a pre war collection of pictures of Mailly le Camp. This include pictures of the men , barracks , tanks and even heavy canons. If interested I can scan some . They are mostly postcard pictures from the 1930s.

4. isafarcy

isafarcy recruit

May be it's a little late, but I should like to know where or how Martin Bull has found the number of german casualties. Thank you.

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Martin quoted his source in post 2 . It should answer your question

6. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Skipper's right and I have my copy of Currie's book close at hand. The casualty figures are given on p.141 in Chapter 10 ( 'Analysis' ). Apparently a report was compiled by the Wehrmacht officer in command of the depot. A copy of the report was captured soon after and passed to Bomber Command HQ at High Wycombe.

I can only stress again that Jack Currie's book is essential reading for anyone interested in Mailly-le-Camp.

7. BillG

BillG recruit

Hi,
    Re the wedding dress mentioned by Skipper. It was made from the parachute used by Sgt. R.T. Emeny, mid-upper gunner of ND 556, EM-F of 207 Squadron when he baled out on the Mailly raid. The parachute was recovered by a member of the Resistance named Lucien Tripot who assisted Sgt Emeny in his succesful evasion of the Germans. When M.Tripot married after the war, the parachute was made into the wedding dress for his wife, Paulette.

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thanks for the additionnal details BillG and welcome to this fine forum .

9. BillG

BillG recruit

Skipper,
    Thank you for the welcome, glad to be here.