Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Main 1st AIrborne force reaches Arnhem Bridge

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Western Front & Atlan' started by Jet, May 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Crazy - 'Dolle Dinsdag' ( I think I've got it right - maybe Stevin can correct me ! ) was 'Mad Tuesday' which you see at the beginning of 'A Bridge Too Far' - when German troops retreated en masse through belgium and the Southern part of Holland.

Best books - I have a whole shelf-full published between 1945 and 2003 ! Jet is absolutely right - the 'Corridor' fighting is overlooked. My own recommendations would be : -

Ryan's book - still gives a very good overview of the whole operation.

'The Devil's Birthday - The Bridges To Arnhem 1944' by Geoffrey Powell ( who was there ).

'Arnhem 1944 - The Airborne Battle ' by Martin Middlebrook. OK, it's the British angle but it's a superb book by an excellent historian - I must have re-read it at least four or five times.

'Arnhem' by Maj.-Gen. R E Urquhart.Subsequent research has proved details wrong but still an important book by one of the key 'players'.

Finally a personal favourite - 'The Cauldron' by 'Zeno'. A novelised account of a platoon of the 21st Independent Company ( 'Zeno' was Platoon Sgt Ken Allerton ). This is a harsh, unsentimental and in places shocking regular soldier's view of the fighting. Definitely in the 'once read - never forgotten' category.

All except the last are still in print / easy to find. The last is hard to find but if you do - buy !

2. Martin Bull

I just looked it up in Ryan's book.

I was right - 'Dolle Dinsdag' was 'Mad Tuesday' - September 5th, 1944. Just for a short while, the German withdrawal from Northern France, Belgium and Southern Holland took on the appearance of a rout ; the German columns were apparently swollen by large numbers of civilian 'Nazi sympathizers'.

3. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Martin, you are spot on concerning Dolle Dinsdag. The Allies advanced so quick nobody knew when they would be in southern Holland. Then the (false) news broke that they had entered, I think Breda. Germans and Dutch colloborators fled en masse to the north and Germany. The Allies, however, where nowhere near were everybody thouight they were.

Martin, I have also Powell's Men At Arnhem, which seems a different book than Bridges to Arnhem. Any thoughts on this one? This book was also origanilly published under a psydonym/anonymously.

4. Martin Bull

Great book !

' Men At Arnhem ' was first published in 1976 under the pseudonym 'Tom Angus'. It was quickly recognized ( not least by General Hackett ! ) that this name concealed Geoffrey Powell who commanded a Company of 156 Battalion The Parachute Regiment at Oosterbeek.

Names were changed to avoid any potential embarrassment; but in 1998 the book was republished under Geoffrey Powell's own name, and included a very interesting introduction which 'revealed' the true identities of the personalities in the book.

It is very much a close-quarter view of the fighting and as such is considered a minor classic ; as Powell says in his introduction ; -

'When writing this book I did not try to depict or analyse Market Garden....This I attempted later in 'The Devil's Birthday : The Bridges To Arnhem'. .

[ 14. May 2003, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Martin Bull ]

5. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

Found a bit on German armored stregths during Market Garden. not sure how accurate this info is, but...

from http://www.marketgarden.com/new/statis2frame.html
    (main site www.marketgarden.com)

German armour in the Arnhem area at the time of 'Market Garden' (155)
    9 SS-Panzer-Divison "Hohenstaufen"
    (operational theater: Arnhem - Oosterbeek - Nijmegen - Elst)

42 Armoured cars (most half track)
    2   Jagdpanzers
    3   Mobelwagen (mobile FLAK full track)
    1   FLAK half track

10 SS-Panzer-Divison "Frundsberg"
    (operational theater: Arnhem - Elst)

8   Panzer Kampf Wagen V (Panther)
    12 Panzer Kampf Wagen IV
    4   STUG III
    7   armoured cars, half track
    1   Panzer Spee Wagen P204
    1   FLAK (vierling) half track

Panzer Ersatz Regiment "Bielefeld" (Panzer Kampfgruppe Mielke)

2   Panzer Kampf Wagen IV
    6   Panzer Kampf Wagen III

Schwere Panzer Kompanie Hummel

12  Panzer Kampf Wagen VI (Tiger 1)

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 506
    (operational theater: Oosterbeek - Elst)

28  Panzer Kampf Wagen VI (Tiger 2)

Sturmgeschutz Brigade 280
    (operational theater: Arnhem - Oosterbeek)

7    STUG III
    3    STUH 42G

Panzer Kompanie 244
    (operational theater: Oosterbeek)

1    Panzer Kampfwagen 35S
    2    Panzer Kampfwagen B2
    14  Flammpanzer

Total of armoured cars:  51
    Total of tanks:                   104

These look accurate?

6. Martin Bull

The figures look right, Crazy - confirmed in Marcel Zwarts' excellent pamphlet, ' German Armored Units At Arnhem ' .

Where it gets tricky is when the vehicles arrived : for instance, the eight Panthers of 10.SS-Panzer-Divn 'Frundsberg', 1./SS-Panzer Regiment 10 arrived from Germany only at the very end of the fighting for the Bridge on the 21st September.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.