Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Manfred Rommel made CBE THIS WEEK IN 1990

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Duns Scotus, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Duns Scotus

Duns Scotus Member

ONE CAN NEVER SAY THAT WE Brits are not magnaminious to former enemies and I'm not talking about he statue of George Washington in London, England's Trafalgar Square where the rebellious first President of the United States stares over the square at Lord Nelson atop his column (I'll bet that there are no statues of General Cornwallis in Washington D.C.) but the fact that this January week in 1990 Manfred Rommel , son of Field Marshall Erwin Rommel who captured the 51st Highland Division at ST. Valery-En -Caux in 1940 and gave we Brits a tough time in North Africa between 1941-43, was created an honorary Companion of the British Empire (C.B.E.) for services to promoting Anglo-German relations.
    Manfred, post-war, became Burgomeister(Mayor) of Stuttgart and developped a strong friendship with George S. Patton IV grandson of his -Manfred's -Dad's enemy George S. Patton. Patton the younger was stationed with the U.S. Army in western Germany and Rommel junior also developped strong links with Viscount Montgomery of Alamein, son of his father Erwin's North African adversary, Bernard Montgomery.
    Manfred served in the Luftwaffe -his father vetoed a suggestion the his son join the Waffen S.S.) and after his Dad's enforced suicide in 1944 he surrendered himself eventually to French General Lattre De Tassigny's French troops. in 1945.

2. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

i wonder how Mr Rommel is doing. Last i heard he has been battling Parkinson's disease. He certainly is a respectable figure in Germany today. I forgot to mention a happy belated birthday to Herr Rommel. On Christmas eve he turned 83.