Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Mars Task Force 475th reg

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Vince Bunio, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Vince Bunio

Vince Bunio Member

My name is Jake and I am posting for my grandpa who remembers every bit of his time with the 475th. I recorded hours upon hours of his stories of his time in history in Burma & Indonesia. I was reminiscing with grandpa Vincent H. Bunio for over 4 hrs today on his 88th birthday and all he wants is to reach out to other Marauders and task force elite veterans and I think this will be a great start. Thanks for having us!

2. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Hi Jake, Welcome to the Forum. We look forward to hearing stories from your Grandfather. When you are ready to share them they could be posted under his name in the Honour, Service, and Valour section.

3. theblackalchemist

theblackalchemist Member

Or if it's an audio recording, and you really dont want to head the youtube way, give us a shout and we'll see what we can do :)

Regards,
    TBA

4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums, Jake!

5. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

I hope you can get a lot of information from your grandfather and I am glad you realize how precious this is. I was reminded today on New Mexico Television that there appears to be only two of the original Navajo Code Talkers left and some are busy trying to document more about their stories. Welcome Jake!

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Welcome Jake, feel free to post stories about your grandpa.

7. dazzerjeep

dazzerjeep Member

Welcome Jake I look forward to hearing about your Grandfather

8. squarecompass

squarecompass Member

I have an old boy hear in my home town of North Adams,MA he's 90 and has it all together....we have spoken about his time in MM

9. Vince Bunio

Vince Bunio Member

Thank you very much for the welcome. I will have an audio link up in a couple days. M grandpa cusses a bit so sorry for that but I am sure you guys understand. Do you guys know if the Mars Task Force guys got Bronze stars . I think there is some medals my grandpa should of got. He told me a story of carrying a guy across a 30 foot log over a ravine and no one could carry this guy and my grandpa volunteered because he was strong and he got the guy over. He said he remembers vividly seeing Ernie Pyle corresponding him. I have a pic Ernie took of my grandpa.

10. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

Welcome aboard. I look forward to seeing your grandfather's story.

11. RichRR

RichRR recruit

Jake,

Your GrandPa should have received the following medals as a result of being with the MARS Task Force. I was able to get all of my Dads medals from New York State Division of Military affairs. I believe every member of MARS Task Force should have received: The Bronze Star, Combat Infantry Badge, WWII Victory Medal, Army Good Conduct Medal, American Campaign Medal and the Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal.

12. Spitfire_XIV

Spitfire_XIV Member

Hello Jake and welcome to the forum :)

13. Gordo

Gordo recruit

H Jake,

My late uncle was in G Co of the 475th. He died some years ago and didn't have any children. What little I know is from my late father. My uncle was CPT Irving (Ike) Gordy from Cambridge, Md. He was awarded the Purple Heart and the Silver Star. That's all I know. I'm really interested in hearing your grandfather's story. At least it would give me some indication of what my uncle endured.

Gordo

14. Vince Bunio

Vince Bunio Member

Hey guys! Sorry to take so long. I have been very busy. I have some good news. We are making progress and should have an answer by this Monday. I really hope they award my grandpa some medals he deserves. We will get the audio uploaded as soon as we figure out how to.

15. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

We don't have audio capabilities on this site, unfortunately. If you can tell us more about your grandfather, we would appreciate it.

16. Vince Bunio

Vince Bunio Member

17. Vince Bunio

Vince Bunio Member

Just got off the phone with grandpa. He said he was also promised a British Citation from Lord Mt. Batten. We are going after that next......He is soooooo excited. Maybe the queen will have to decorate him. lol

18. Robersabel

Robersabel Member

Attempting to locate a veteran of the 475th who fought with the 124th Cavalry Regiment in the CBI Theater. Purpose: To determine if the veteran is a recipient of the Combat Infantryman badge (CIB).

19. Robersabel

Robersabel Member

RichRR,

Where are you obtaining the information regarding the Combat Infantryman badge? An individual is a WWII veteran of the 475th advised he was denied the CIB by the Army Board in 2005.

20. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

RichRR has not been around for some time. Do you know the reasons given for the denial? Was it lack of documentation or not meeting the criteria for the award? If it was the former, an appeal may be possible.

It may be worthwhile to get a copy of the Index to the General Orders of the 475th Infantry Regiment.