Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Matildas

Discussion in 'War In North Africa' started by el-tel, Oct 23, 2007.

Tags:
  1. el-tel

el-tel New Member

via War44
    My uncle Tommy (no joke) was in a Matilda squadron during the El- Alamein campaign, although it was virtually inpenetrable to German fire, it has no real way of answering as it was very lightly armed (a 2lber I beleive?)

There are some great shots to seen on the web of Matildas which have been under fire

2. Dave War44

Dave War44 Member

via War44
    Hi el-tel. It would be great if Tommy the Tommy had some stories you could share with us. Is he still around ?
    Please upload some of the Matilda photos if you have them on your HDD? Use "quick Upload" underneath the smiley collection in the "Reply To Thread" dialogue box, or start a new thread for them!
    :thumb:

3. el-tel

el-tel New Member

via War44
    Youch! A double reply, Tommy Hobday has long since gone upwards and onwards from this mortal coil.

I have searched hard for the photo I am after its a picture of a Matiladas turrent that has had three direct hits on it but the tank is still operational

Here a pretty rare shot of a Matilda caputed in North Africa and re-badged and used by jerry (see what I mean about the main armament)

[​IMG]

4. Gecko

Gecko New Member

via War44
    I didnt know that the Matilda's was so sturdy against enemy fire, they looked to me like almost insignificent, due to the small cannon on board.

It is quite amazing, because the Sherman was known for being dangerously poorly armoured even to machinegun fire.