Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

ME-262 PROJECT Update....................

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by C.Evans, Aug 25, 2002.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl, I've known these chaps for some time. They have a tendantcy to be awfully slow with updates, but they all have jobs so priorities are in check. The best info site is the lwag index, though this is starting to get a bit dry after a year 1/2 unfortunately.....
    I do hope they can get at least 1 Me 262 up in the air, even if it is rebuild whcih it will have to be. There is a redone recon version in Chino, Califoprnia that I visited with my brother 2 years ago and was told them there was talk of re-building it's engines for flight. I wouldn't be caught dead in the old thing though, but it would be very Kühl to hear the jets fire up once and see the thing go through it's paces if possible.

E

3. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Nice sites, Carl!

And that sounds pretty interesting, Erich! But is it a full-replic of a Me-262?

4. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Thanks for the link, Carl. I've been following the story with interest in the UK warbird magazines.
    Friedrich - I believe it's an exact replica, except for the General Electric turbojet engines.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks Erich--I had THOUGHT this site looked or seemed familiar--I ran into it or one like it about 2 yrs ago.

Thanks Herr General and Martin.

Also, if im not to badly mistaken--it seems that I read somewhere on the Confederate Airforce Site (also about 2 yrs ago) that there is a firm here in Texas that was building no less than 5, fully operational ME jets. At that time--I know at least one was started or was nearing completion. If I also recall correctly--they were supposed to act as a squadron of ME jets and were supposed to fly at airshows put on by the Confederate Airforce.

Heh heh, for something I havent thought of in many years--did you know that I used to be a Colonel in the C.A.F? :D I was an Honorary Colonel in the CAF's Ghost Squadron. :D The cap wore out many years ago--but I think I still have my squadron patch and scrambled eggs somewhere.

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Unless they have moved, and they may have. The project has been based in Seattle with the hope of rebuilding the 262's, 6 of them from spare parts and copies of the originals using stamped methods. They had at one time 3/4 two seater trainer bodies and several single seat 262A-1a's. Most of the frames needed some major work, but they have done wonders over the years using some very skilled craftsmen. It will be pure joy if they can even get 1 back in running condition, wherever they are or will be based.

E

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

They probably have moved. Wouldnt that be great--two outfits working on a similar project--having what? 11,12,13 or 14 ME-262's in working order.

8. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Thanks guys, very interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing!