Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Me and my father.

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by pammer, Oct 14, 2010.

1. pammer

pammer recruit

I just joined to see how many WWII Veterans are around,My father is a WWII Veteran who is 100 yrs old and has a very sound mind. I love to hear his stories about when he was in the army. He was in the 134th Field Artillery. His name is Tom Winning,Sr.I wish all lived close around so we could meet some. Here in Athens,Oh. I don't think people thinks it is a big deal when you turn 100 and you are a WWII Veteran. Our home town paper wouldn't even do a story on him but they did one on a blind horse after I asked them to do one about my father. it ticked me off. Thanks for listening and everyone have a wonderful day!!!!!!!!!:D

2. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Howdy Pammer! Nice to meet you and welcome aboard. If it is not too late past, wish your father a late Happy Birthday from all of us. :) That is wonderful blessing he is still around to inspire.

We love to hear stories about veterans, so by all means let us know what you were going to send to the newspaper. You will have an audience here to read it for sure!

3. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

Welcome!

Consider yourself lucky that your father is so willing to speak of his experiences. Not all veterans are comfortable talking about it. I never asked my grandfather about his service and its one of my biggest regrets.

4. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

Hi and welcome, and looking forward to hearing more :)

5. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Welcome pammer,
    We're all ears here so if you and your Father feel up to it post away with anything he'd like to share. Shake your Father's hand and give him a big Thank You for Your Service from me.

6. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Yes please post his story here when you get it all together. It will have a world-wide audience here, unlike the one-horse town paper that turned the story down originally. Feel free to post pictures as well. Your dad is living history. Not many like him left.

7. ArcticWolf

ArcticWolf Member

Welcome to the forums!

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Welcome Pammer. Here's a bit about the 37th Infantry Division, which the 134th was part of. It contains the Order of Battle and a brief overview of the division's actions.
    37th Infantry Division order of battle ww2
    By all means, post some of his stories. We thrive on that kind of first-hand account.

9. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

Attached Files:

10. Greg Canellis

Greg Canellis Member

Welcome Pammer and God bless your father.

Greg C.

11. karenlalaniz

karenlalaniz Member

Ah, Pammer- Don't get me started. Shame on that newspaper! Indeed, making it to 100 years old after living through WWII is amazing. My father is 89 and like yours his mind is very sharp. Can I make a suggestion? Write down the stories he tells. You may feel like you will always remember them, but that just isn't true. Our minds blend things together and just aren't as perfect as we think they are. When I started writing my father's story, I had many, many facts wrong or woven into the wrong scenario or whatever. So, I highly encourage you to write them down, one by one, now while he can tell them to you first hand. Your dad must have been "really old" during the war. My dad was in his early 20's and considered old. LOL And as I said, he's 89 now. Another thought; write his story up and send it into a magazine or anthology like Chicken Soup for the Soul or whatever. Lots of people, I have learned, I intrigued by the stories that WWII vets have to tell. ~Karen