Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Medic question

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by JMD62, Jun 18, 2018.

1. JMD62

JMD62 recruit

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how Combat Medics, or other medical personnel, were transported in an Armored Infantry Rifle Company. Would they ride along in Half Tracks with the Infantry to the front lines, or would they travel in a Jeep?

If I could also include the same question for Chaplains, that would help as well.

Thanks!
    James

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  2. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

The Medical Detachment assigned to an AIB consisted of three officers and 33 enlisted. The officers ranked as captains or 1st lieutenants, two of whom were MD and the third was a dentist. Of the 33 enlisted, two were NCO, a medical staff sergeant and a medical corporal. The remaining 31 included two drivers designated to drive the Detachment's single ambulance and 3/4-ton weapons carrier. Two others were medical technicians, one of whom drove a 1/4-ton Jeep, and there was also a dental technician. Another eleven were surgical technicians, of whom four also doubled as 1/4-ton Jeep drivers. Six of the eleven medical technicians were company aide men and rode with the company they were attached to in the company vehciles. The remaining fifteen included twelve litter bearers and three basic privates.

Chaplains were also an attachment from division and typically consisted of the chaplain and his enlisted assistant who doubled as his jeep driver.

PzJgr, JMD62 and TD-Tommy776 like this.
  3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Yeah, all that.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

JMD62 likes this.
  5. JMD62

JMD62 recruit

Thank you, great info!!