Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Memorial Day - 2010

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by Huntzman, May 28, 2010.

1. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

I have to take the opportunity to ask this Question. "Can you make national headlines in an activity of war and not be remembered here in our land of the Free?" Can Viet Nam and its memories become so difficult that we give up remembering something that happened? I challenge you to look up and study "Shakey's Hill" a video documentary about the 7th Calvary in Cambodia. My schoolmate Chris Keffalos and his death upon discovery of the largest cache of weapons is documented. The video was completed in 2004 I think.... I did not find it til 2007. Of course his family and friends and his hometown never forgot him but the media did because I looked for this story for years until CBS former reporter Norman Lloyd, upon his retirement decided to document this story he filmed during the war. It was in our national headlines for several days. Lots of very interesting footage in this video. The nation for a long time did forget. I draw attention now to see if you can remember.

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I find it rather odd maybe even macbre and weird when I see the nice clean white cross's of those whom fell and buried in France compared to those of the "other" side with dark grey/black rock in simulation of a worn cross.

strange but where were the crosses of those I dealt with in nam, not all were brought home, poor shreds of humanity collected buried in a tropical soggy wet and too warm depression amidst an all seeing jungle, or the ones blown to pieces stepping on mines while in the mideast, no one cares no one is able to find the remnants of that/those poor civilized person's............. does the memories fade, do they ever, will they ever ?? Victor no-one wants to talk about what happened in the 60's it is just that, it will be easily forgotten, even Korea even the mideast entanglement we are part of for the time being before we are carried off into another theater of the world it is inevitable.

so much odd and not conclusive materials with the recent happenings near Gaza two peoples cutting each others throats since the begining of time, yet we think we take a stand for those that have been ill-treated not really knowing the full circumstances, and yet really no-one gives a bloody H*** for those that have fallen for so many years, one can only imagine unless faced with it full stance a daily routine.

3. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

I just know whatever the war, they were doing it for their family, their people, their comrades, their country and for that, however unpleasant it may be, I hope someone will take enough interest to remember. The politicians decide the war, the heros make the sacrifices for all of us. When the soldiers serve, they will be remembered by me and to my capacity I will appreciate all of them. I take notice that in ancient history there are historians that spend large amounts of time studying the individual's they can find when described in what is recorded. I do not believe that they will be permanently forgotten. Their memories will live as long as man is around. Remember also that the pendulum always swings and that which was not once important may become once again a highlight and of great importance.

4. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I think that what one must realize is that not every single Soldier either MIA, KIA or returning, nor every battle fought be it WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, The First Gulf War, Afghanistan or Iraq etc: can be eulogized and specifically noted. What we can do is remember those we knew, those we know and share our memories of them. I'll ask you this; do you remember the name Major Frank Korish? He was a flight Surgeon flying an F-15 and was shot down Jan. 17, 1991. I remember his name, the date, the fact he was from a town in Illinois (Rochelle) but never "knew" him. I wore a MIA bracelet until his remains were found and returned home. I remember his name and other than his Family and close friends has he been forgotten? Two classmates from another small town who enlisted together died within an hour of each other in Afghanistan. Their obituary is posted in the Roll of Honor thread "all other conflicts". One of the best explanations I could relate came directly from a soldier while stationed in Iraq when I commented that I wish there was more I could do. Sending a few packages, postcards, emails or whatever just seemed minuscule to me but he replied, " We all have a part to play, I'm doing mine and you're doing yours". "What you feel is a 'small' part has long ranging effects and carries more weight than you realize". After receiving that email I knew that what I thought was "not much" was greatly appreciated. Could I do more, yep and I found ways to do more. As for the possibility of "Forgetting" Vietnam and those who fought there, Not A Chance! Only if you or I forget and that Ain't going to happen.

5. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

Well said Biak! Thank you for that. I know so many from Viet Nam and Korea days despair in what they experience from the public. I think times are changing away from that and you have some keys as to "what to do to participate" and how we remember.

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

appreciate both your stances on the Nam fiasco but one from that era will tell you we don't want to talk about all the misfortunes, and yes it will be forgotten because we want to forget it completely except for those of us that gave it all and did not come back, we are a misfit generation the govt. was totally in control of itself, and thought it was in control of us and made some very poor decision making from commanding general's down to the lowly private and back crew technicians servicing vehicles, arms and to typing behind a typewriter in some lonely protected sphere behind the lines. Life/war will take a different turn in the near future and those things that were will be nomore

7. Biak

My Nephew made the following video and I had him post it to 'youtube'. He is 12 years old and not allowed full access to the WW2f site so this is for him. It was for the Memorial Day observance at his school, no grade just his way of Honoring those who have gone before us.

[YOUTUBE]oxcSgVm81pk[/YOUTUBE]

ps: Erich, I understand "somewhat" your feelings but wanted you to know that as far as I and a lot of others are concerned you went to war, you endured and I'm proud of you and your generation. I'd like to think that by remembering Vietnam the way the war was waged will be an example and lessons will be learned not to be repeated.

8. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

Sorry for the late response, as I am on a home front hiatus from the internet. This Memorial Day, I spent remembering a friend lost in Afghanistan, a man I wish had been a friend lost in Iraq, and praying for a friend who served from 1959 until 1985. SFC Matt Blaskowski, KIA 9/23/07 FOB Vegas, Afghanistan. SGT Trevor Blumberg, KIA 9/14/03, Iraq. MSGT Jack Darga suffered a stroke just before Memorial Day. I have posted before on HOME in the past, well Jack has been instrumental in making it happen. We are waiting and hoping for him to recover and get back. We miss him. We miss Matt and Trev.

9. Biak

This was an especially memorable Memorial Day for me. A flag I had sent to a friend in Iraq which he flew over the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad (2008), flew over the Pentagon this past weekend. Back in my possession now and sitting in a place of Honor.

Attached Files: