Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Memphis Belle

Discussion in 'Aircraft' started by kerrd5, Jun 15, 2011.

1. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

Otto, Gunney and Takao like this.
  2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

3. Takao

Takao Ace

Good to see the Memphis Belle getting the restoration she so richly deserves!

4. Gunney

Gunney Member

its good to see her being brought to her former glory, the Memphis Belle was a shining star among bombers and her crew was one of the best, but let us remember the the other Bombers and crews who gave there lives to liberate and free Europe from their german occupiers

5. Spitfire_XIV

Spitfire_XIV Member

I wholeheartedly agree with you on that Gunney, since I had several distant family cousins and three great uncles who fought the Germans from the skies.

6. Gunney

Gunney Member

cool, what Aircraft did they use?

7. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

The Memphis Belle (1944) (Restored Version, now on YouTube.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1sNxhbyH5s

8. Sandwichery

Sandwichery Active Member

The first time I saw her she was sitting derelict on an Air National Guard airfield in Memphis. She was indeed a sad sight. Its great to see her, as well as the "Swoose", getting the attention that they so richly deserve.

9. Wgvsr

Wgvsr New Member

Back when I was small lad in Memphis, the Belle sat on a plinth in front of the National Guard Armory on Central. She was cosmetically rebuilt and moved under an open air pavillion on Mud Island in downtown Memphis in the late 80s where she sat until about 2003 when she was taken to Millington for another rebuild. I hated to see her rot down outside, driving by her twice a day for many years on the way to and home from work. If I remember correctly, the City bought her after the War and gave her back to the AF in the 70's, subject to retaining her for exhibit. The AF finally got fed up with the slow progress and took her back.
    Bill

10. Owen

Owen O

Well I didnt know this.
    Always thought it was the first to do 25.
    http://www.mallofmemphis.org/Main/MemphisBelle

11. Takao

Takao Ace

Actually, The first bomber to complete the "25" was a B-24D Liberator named "Hot Stuff". She not only completed her 25 missions a good three months before either Hell's Angels or Memphis Belle, but went on to complete 31 missions before being sent home. However, she never made it back to the States. In a tragic turn of events, she crashed into an Icelandic mountainside while attempting to land in extremely poor weather. The sole survivor of the crash was the tail gunner. Another twist in this story is that also aboard was the commanding General of the ETO, Lieutenant General Frank Andrews, who was returning to Washington DC. To accommodate the General and some of his staff, 5 of the original crewmembers were "bumped" from the ill-fated flight.