Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Mepal and the 75 sqd

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by tranacz5372, Apr 15, 2012.

1. tranacz5372

tranacz5372 recruit

Hello to all
    My name is Phil and i live very close to the site of the old Airfield at the village of Mepal which was home to the NZ 75 Bomber Squadron
    if anybody has the picture of Mepal Airfield taken upside down from a bomber in 1943 you can see the small row of houses at the end of the runway [that is home]
    I am looking into Mepal and the 75 Sqd and would ask that if anybody has info on either the Base or the crews that served their could you please get in touch
    I have found several books and a short film recorded at Mepal which has started the interest and i am now looking to gather information on crews so that the village can have a display regarding the site
    I also live close to the Witchford Museum which i often visit
    profiles of individuals are most welcome and will be used to remember the brave men and women who served

2. Icare9

Icare9 Member

Hi, Phil
    I'm sure that if you Google, you'll find a very active 75 Squadron Association is still thriving.
    There are also many other Bomber Command and Air Crew websites that may already have a lot of information that will just need collating in order to add to the village history of the airfield.
    For what it's worth, there appear to be at least 547 UK aircrew losses, plus another 431 from NZ, 61 Canadians and at least one Australian, so over 1,000 if you are thinking of a Roll of Honour!
    If you look for aircraft photos with the Squadron Code AA then they'll be of 75 Sqaudron aircraft, rarely Wellingtons but Stirlings or Lancasters after Mar 1944
    Hope that helps get you started!

3. StuS

StuS Member