Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Metz 1944

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Erich, Oct 22, 2003.

1. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

17th SS PzGr didn't have its flak abteilung at Metz. That unit was detached on 14 Sept and was at Kaiserslautern not rejoining the division until December. At that time the division posted a strength of 3,500 with 1,000 rifle stength and 20 AFV available.

2. Stevin

Stevin Ace

That is strange as Helmuth is rather clear about it. But I could have translated it wrong. I think (I am at work now, no access to sources) that he also put thatin an undated map of the attack on Klein-Prunach :confused:

However, could the destruction of 3. batterie have taken place between 9 and 14 september, while the rest of the flak-abt. was withdrawn to kaiserlautern??? Helmuth writes 3. batterie is the only 'einsatzfaehige'.

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Weiler, August

Unit: Bataillonsführer Regiment "Von Stössel" / Kommandant Festun Driant
    Awarded on: November 16th, 1944
    Action: As Bataillonsführer of Regiment 'Von Stössel' and Kommandant of Festung Driant near Metz. Weiler won his Knight’s Cross for defending the fort against the might of Patton's Third Army, forcing the Allies to take Metz by the flanks and thereby allowing an organized retreat of German forces.

World War 2 Awards.com - WEILER, August

4. BWilson

BWilson Member

T. A.'s German OOB was a nice piece of research. It was too old to salute so I gave it a prestige point.

Cheers

BW

5. Rocco1v

Rocco1v recruit

Looking for information for my Great Uncle:

Sgt. Samuel A. De Petro, S/N #36227745, E Co., 2nd Bn., 11th Regt., 5th Division.

Sgt. Samuel A. DePetro, 303 W. College Ave., Marquette, Michigan, had joined the Army 11/1941 and was in the 5th Div as they went through training and garrison details in Iceland and England.

He was listed as D.O.W. 09/08/1944 during combat in the Horseshoe Woods bridgehead near Dornot, France while crossing the Moselle river.

Had received his C.I.B. & E.I.B. through the 11th Infantry Regiment (G.O. #6 & #7 11INF1944) as well as his Purple Heart from the 5th Infantry Division.

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Voet

Attached Files:

6. Earthican

Earthican Member

Welcome and thank you for sharing.

The battle of the failed Dornot bridgehead is well described in the US Army official history, complete with map and aerial photo. See link, scroll to page 135.

HyperWar: US Army in WWII: The Lorraine Campaign