Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Middle East Training Centres for Operation Husky

Discussion in 'Military Training, Doctrine, and Planning' started by Brian Smith, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Active Member

Bridlington East Riding Yorkshire England
    I am looking for any available information on training centres used for operation husky which would have been used by troops embarking for Sicily from Port Said. May possibly have been in Palestine?

Thank you

Brian

2. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

50 th Diviison drove back across the Western Desert from Tunisia (24 April-11 May) . Prior to Op Husky, the Divison carried out

"wet "exercises at the Combined Training Centre at Kaabrit on the Bitter Lakes.

Mountain training near Tripoli in Syra - because the terrain was similar to Sicily.

A major landing exercise in the Guldf of Akaba on 15 June - sailig from Suez. 69 Bde carried out a two day march from Kabrit to Suez. (Source Monty's Northern Legions Patrick delaforce.)
    :
    51st Division trained in Algeria.

3. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Active Member

Bridlington East Riding Yorkshire England
    Sheldrake - thank you for this help, my specific interest is with beach brick 33 which landed on Acid beach George, I believe this brick was formed around the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders, may be 5th Division.

Brian