Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Militaria hunt

Discussion in 'Other Militaria' started by Skipper, May 23, 2010.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Today's hunt:

[​IMG]

-U.S army 1945 dated Pack field cargo bag
    -US. army gasmask bag
    -German M-1942 canteen
    -French bonze Mothers medal
    -French WWI 1916 dated army chocolate
    -Imperial German tench art letter opener made with mauser bullet.

(details are posted in the newest militaria thread)

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

and another succesful hunt

[​IMG]

3. VonBond

VonBond Member

The Amsterdam fleamarket is not a good source of militaria, I live two minutes walk from it and walk through it most days and there is not a lot there. I have been surprised at how little there is for sale, though there is another market at the Waag, though infrequently, which has had a few items. I realise this is old news, as your visit is over, but others could bear this in mind for the future.

Nice items, as always Skipper, well done.

Jerry

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hi Jerry , I have detailled some of the nicer items elswhere and skipped the minor ones, this is just a general aspect thread to give rogues an idea of what can still find here in a weekend.

5. VonBond

VonBond Member

Hi Skipper, I wish the hunting was as good around here, maybe its better out in more rural areas. I went to a big market in southern Belgium a couple of months back and that had a number of items, a lot of messed with or fake items, same at the market outside Arnhem war museum 40-45. There was one item at the fleamarket in the Haag, a relic mp40 for too much money, but that was all.

I'll check out some of your finds in the other threads.

Jerry

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You are welcome Jerry, I have however a reputation of spotting what many don't always see, so I often meet fellow collectors who tell me "it's not worth going to such and such a place" because they were there before. I still went and always make finds. These would be WWI amateur pics of General Joffre found in shoe box, a RAF great coat laying on the floor (not picked up because it had civilian buttons, a Luftwaffe lantern because people did not recognize it painted etc....They are mostly 1st hand non restored items that wer eneve rin a collcetion before and are mixed up with toys, plates , flower pots and junk , so ignored by many people who go to militaria dealers only.

Would you have picked the following items up? They are genuine German soldier boot
    heel irons.

[​IMG]

7. VonBond

VonBond Member

Hi Skipper,
    I would not have looked at them, mainly not my area of interest, though a good item.

You obviously put in the effort, do you sell the stuff you find, or is your home filling up with it all?

Good luck on your future excursions.
    Here is that mp40 that I didnt buy!
    Jerry

Attached Files:

Skipper likes this.
  8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The least you could say is that there is a lot of work on that Mp40, but it could be nicely restored and it's harmless.
    I don't usually sell any stuff , sometimes I will trade a duplicate medal or lantern with a friend , or sell a canteen or too at our village flea market (one a year) . So yes, things are piling up and Mrs Skipper has already kicked me out of most of the rooms .

9. VonBond

VonBond Member

I would have liked to have bought it, but 550euros seemed a lot, I have a relic Luger, that was said to be a metal detector find from Normandy. I cleaned it a bit, and added some paint to stablize it, then sanded it back a bit. Still looks a bit shiny, but I like it. My wifes is pretty good about this stuff, she's reading band of brothers at the moment and read panzer commander a few weeks back.
    A montage of my Luger, 1939 dated, I'm not sure if this is in my collection thread or not.
    Jerry

PS, you can see where the spade went through the barrel!

Attached Files:

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You have a great collection, the relic would look even better if you find the blades to cover it. Ok I'm off hunting again.

11. Huntzman

Huntzman Member

Very nice pickups Skipper !!!!

We don't have those big "flea markets" here in this area sadly. I remember them from NY and thinking back there was always a lot of Military stuff there.

We have little village garage sales here but 90% is all children's clothing. It is a real job to locate anything at all.

Andrew

12. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hi andrew I've just returned from another hunt with plenty of goodies. Mrs Skipper has gone to the local swimming pool witht he camera though, so I'll have to wait to be able to show you what I found, but Icame back with a 1942 Luftwaffe Bavaria porcelaine teapot, a Gemran mess tin, a german Mauser Bayonet and a British 1913 dated lantern.

13. David h

David h Member

Wow you sure copped some nice finds there congrats, rgds Dave

14. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Cheers lads I will post my latest finds here later today, they include Luftwaffe porclaine and a US 1941 dated gasmask + much more but Mrs Skipper has taken my sd card ,So I can't download them. I have already posted some items in the trench art section though and in the German Imperial one

15. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Well here you are! I got my sd card back so I could download the pics for you .

Last Sundays hunt. The painting is obvioulsy not WWII (19th century) but I had to buy that too.

[​IMG]

There is a complete U.S 1941 dated gasmask with bag included. This one I almost did not see and it was after a second tour that Ispotted this one.

[​IMG]

There is also a French 75er shell turned into a hotwater bottle (trench art)

16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

17. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

todays crop:

Several nice items , among them:

A french shovel
    A British trench lighter made with a Birmingham Dunlop made valve
    A U.S WWI tobacco box

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

another great weekend hunt with lots of goodies: details will be dispactched in the newest militaria section . Enjoy what can still be found in day for a few euros.

[​IMG]

19. colletorww2

colletorww2 Ace

AAAAAH! Damn you :( I want to find those kind of things :( I haven't gotten anything new in about a month or something like that, but i have been digging near a German airfield and i have found a lot of interesting things(But the bad thing is that i can't post any pictures, my camera likes to mess with me saying that "The image file doesn't exist" after i take a picture.

Btw, what is the deal with the cut-down Jerry can?

20. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thanks collector. Cut down Jerry cans were used for motorbikes by the British. I think the Germans also had halves. They were either made that way or adapted. Here is anothe rpicture that will show you the bottom which has two bars that reinforced the can but also allowed a rope to be attached to it for better fitting.

[​IMG]