Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Minicraft C47 skytrain

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by Prospero Quevedo, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

Any body get the minicraft C47 and was as disappointed as I was to find its the dc3 kit with a decal for the cargo door. Ftoys has a proper model of the C47 etched in door. I cut a stencil out of a sheet of .050 brass. I want to etch in a new door. I'm thinking I may cut it out and have the door open and loading I'll have to build a cargo deck, but that shouldn't be too hard. If I can just remember where I put that model and the stencil. I'll post pics as I go. I bought like ten or twelve of minicrafts dc3 squadron had a sale for five bucks and I thought I would take advantage of the sale. I've sold most of them over time for a decent price. Cheaper than retail but more than I paid. I want to convert on to a li2 making the gun turret is the only problem I have to work out. Also a li12 or 14 DC copies but with tricycle landing gear. R4D8 always liked that plane with the skis.
    Hahaha, found the box I was so sure had that C47 and stencil, crap olla wasn't in there, well I know it's somewhere in my room oh well.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

C47 is a classic.....one of the greats

3. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

Another funny thing about the mini craft dc3 is the navigation dome isn't provided. I drilled a hole to the proper size and used a led lamp from a broken led flash light, the free ones that harbor freight gave you with a purchase. The lamp was too big so I drilled a hole in the bottom and glued a brass rod made sure it looked center and the thing spun even. Put it in my small roto tool great bargain at HF on sale for seven bucks plannin on another as it came with dozens of attachments forty to fifty. I spun the led and used a coarse flat file to get close to size the medium to smooth fine for a super smooth finish and brasso polish to get a really clear finish cut it down polished the bottom with the buffer from my roto kit and set in place looks like my C47 f toy. My mini dc3 are from the first run thought maybe they would correct later but got the miniC47 years later and the instructions show a piece but still not there. The only added parts are the engine intakes for the top of the cowling, super chargers I'm guessing. Anyway I have five out of twelve I once had got great deals five bucks each. Held on to the ones I have to do conversions like the li2, 12or14, R4D8 maybe for artic operations with skis. Maybe one or two commercial airline maybe that Fokker conversion that as far as I have read was just a paper idea that wasn't followed on, still it looks wild a dc3 with bombers gondola and gun turrets with German markings. I think the use of the li2s as bombers was interesting as well guess the soviets were using anything available. Need to research bombing apparatus used on the li2. Saw a article in some magazine they stretched a dc3 and put these long protruding turboprops on it but can't find it online wanted to know of the changed to tricycle landing gear stretching it so much, anyway it looked really good almost modern