Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

MMA

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Poppy, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Always try to catch it when broadcast.
    Tonight the free preliminaries go for 2 hours. Buddy is buying the remainder (woohoo). Think it is 50 buck.

Deliberately missed last weeks MMA. Don't like to watch the ladies fight. Or play basketball, hockey, football... Like golf sometimes. Volleyball, cheerleading, Miss America.
    Isn't it enough we let them drive?
    I kid i kid. Settle down.

Jordan Mein is from our town. He has had a few great battles, and is still very young.

2. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

I am sending Rhonda Rousey over to your house. She wants to "Talk" to you about women in MMA..

3. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

It makes you wonder though...;)

4. Takao

Takao Ace

Ohhh...So many smart comments to make, but this is a family friendly forum.

5. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

What's MMA?

6. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Mixed Martial Arts

7. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Otherwise known as "Saturday Night" in the AU.

8. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Yeah or Friday night Mitchell Street here...Was St Paddy's day yestreday...had some doozies!

9. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Elton is half the man he once was:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26wEWSUUsUc

10. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

11. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Like that she hit Mayweather below the belt. ..Mayweather is an illiterate woman beater, Rousey is a 3 dressed up as a 9, and a real beotch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcmjn9LmFvo

12. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

I'd give her up to a 6. Just to keep myself safe.

13. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Woo hoo, Rousey got some justice. She is a terrible person, not sure why the media attached to her (oh yeah- feminist agenda). Glad that a decent athlete like Holms kicked her arrogant ass into the hospital. ..When a competitor doesn't touch gloves/show respect- they show their true colours.
    Watching women fight is the worst. Wish they would start and stay their own league like golf, softball, volleyball etc.

14. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I have no problem with not touching gloves prior to a bout, especially in a contest where people are about to punch each other in the face. Each fighter prepares for battle in their own way, if they choose not to touch gloves that is their choice.

Women can be amazing athletes, and I also have no problem with them fighting. In many ways they are more rugged than men in combat sports. Men will often break/quit in a fight long before a women would under the same duress. In my experience women tend to grit out more adversity prior to throwing in the towel.

Holly Holm is a deserving victor and a great athlete. She fought an amazing strategy against Ronda Rousey and will represent the mantle of champion in the best way. That said, I'm not sure many people are aware of the mindset required to be the worlds best in a sport like MMA. A person has to believe they are the best in the world or they will never be a champion. That winner's mindset is manifested in many ways, and whether people come of as humble or come off as egotistical, they all think they are the best at what they do.

Last year I happened to be on the same aircraft as Ronda Rousey. We were on a 12 hour red eye flight and the plane had mechanical problems so we had to turn around after 5 hours of flight time, which meant 5 hours back to our original airport. After a few hour delay the airline found another plane for us, and we re-boarded and took off once again. By the time we reached our destination the entire travel time was well over 24 hours. When we landed I was utterly spent, I wanted nothing more than to collapse into a heap. I had no interest in talking to people, eating, never mind socializing. At the airport of arrival there was a platoon of young girls and eager fans waiting to see Ronda, mind you all the fans had waited the extra 12 hours because of the mechanical problems. When Ronda arrived and saw these young girls, she broke out in a huge excited smile and greeted each and every person waiting for her. There are very few people in the world that would take the time greet fans after a grinding ordeal like that. I know I wouldn't have been able to do it in my state. Say what you will about Ronda, but I respect her ability to deal with fame, fans, all in a sport where on human fights another human in a friggin' cage.

Holly Holm has certainly earned the right to gloat over Ronda Rousey but she isn't doing so. I think that says a lot.

15. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Thank you for that Otto. Gives me a little more insight into her personality.

16. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Womans MMA is in its infancy. 10 years from now, every female fighter would pound RR into the matt....Rousey is not the Wayne Gretzky of MMA. She is good but a one trick poney.
    Formed my opinion when she was on Ultimate Fighter as a coach...to me, she was unbearable. Just listen to her talk. Petty. Like highschool all over again.
    Reminded me of Madonna in her crap bio movie- Truth or Dare. Don't like Madonna either...did you see her crocodile tears regarding France= "Why am i up here dancing and enjoying myself..." hate that beotch. Both women are so shallow and self centered.
    Rousey has said she beat up one of her boyfriends... But she has a beef with Mayweather.
    ..Holm should be the one young women look up to. Rousey is not.
    Women fighting in the UFC really, really waters down the product. Dana once said women would never fight in the UFC. He should have kept his word.
    Create WUFF- womens ultimate fighting franchise(lol). See how many people tune in to watch. It would be like womens basketball or soccer/hockey. I'd not spend a cent to watch. Because it is C league.
    Would pay for a Jenner Rousey match.

17. Otto

MMA is in its infancy. 10 years from now every fighter would pound current fighters into the matt.

I appreciate any athlete willing to step into an arena and compete in human vs human combat. Ronda, Holly, etc are among the best at what they do. Obviously you aren't a fan of Rousey and that's fine. I'm not defending anyone, I'm just a fan of the sport whoever decides to compete. In my opinion what they might do on a TV reality show probably isn't the best representation of their true self.

Sounds like you watched Ronda's whole Ultimate Fighter season, and care enough to celebrate her loss her on this site. She might have already succeeded with you from a marketing perspective at least. :D

18. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Ha...you are correct,sir.

Otto likes this.
  19. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

You are easy to please, glad to see you around more these days.
    Otto has unlimited salutes per day. .. #jealous. lol

Otto likes this.
  20. Otto

A couple fortuitous changes make all the difference. Im very happy to be seen a lot more.