Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Model

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by Fortune, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Fortune

Fortune Member

i got a model ww2 room up in my attic, and i have replicated D-day, military trains, ww2 battles, and just a bunch of WW2 $%$# as some of my friends say, hahha

2. skunk works

skunk works Ace

I collect and build 1/35th WW 2 Armor.
    I have Germans, Americans, and Russian, about 20 (give or take) of each. With 50-100 troops of each.
    Anything smaller I can't see. I have a cabinet I built to store 2 foot/2 foot sections for 4 foot by 4 foot dioramas. All in progress.
    Kursk-Berlin-Hedgerow-Africa-Bulge
    I've yet to start my British collection, because I'm still working on what vehicles to include.
    Any suggestions?
    I've built/painted over 30 tanks for friends. I do it for the cost of glue, snadpaper, blades, and paint.
    Accessories are the key, along with weathering. The "junkier" (more beat up) they look, the more real they appear, or so it seems.
    I get laughed at too, until I suggest that it may not be possible for the laugher to make such things for the lack of skill, knowledge and creativity.
    It's a good relax for me, no stress while doing it, and all accumulated stress goes away quickly!

3. bigiceman

bigiceman Member

Your model collections and dioramas sound interesting and impressive. How about some pictures? I for one would love to see them and I know that the ones I have seen from other members have been very cool.

4. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

I miniature wargame in 1/35th with company / battalion sized units with a couple of friends. Sounds like you could use a set or our rules if you do miniature wargames. I forwarded a set to The Red Baron sometime ago for him and his friends to try out. This is a more creative and useful outlet for good modelling skills than just making something that collects dust.
    Aside from that, just making the units has led to buying and building (often from scratch, sometimes entirely so) vehicles and troops that are rather obscure and mundane simply because they are part of the T0&E of some unit.

5. skunk works

skunk works Ace

Question for Za.
    All my Russian tanks (1/35th that is) are all painted "Black Green".
    Is there another color I should look into? I've not seen any a different color, besides the usual dirt/mud of all tanks.
    Did they use camoflage schemes? Besides "White-wash" in winter?
    Right now I can't tell my SU-152 from my T-60, from a distance that is, or is that the point of all the same?
    Do you know where I can find pictures to copy different paint jobs from?
    Er shall I leave all 15 of em, as is?
    Answer for T.A.
    I use my ol ladies make-up brushes (old ones, she throws out) to dust them. They work good, and don't break off all the antennas/machine guns!

6. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Hi SW,

Most of the Soviet materiel was dark green (in theory coulour 4BO, Federal Standard FS34102 is similar). If you want to avoid monotony, you are quite free to follow variations in the green shade you use, but most of them should be that.

Try adding a few drops of yellow, or light gray etc to create variation. Or simply use a different tin!

For winter a coat of more or less durable whitewash would be used, letting the green underneath show more or less irregularly.

Now, there could be camouflage patterns with other colours, but do bear in mind that these would be very (!!) rare. Curiously, whereas tanks are almost all left plain green, most of the artillery pieces have pattern painting, why I don't know.

This link is not working at present, but IIRC there is a good section on tank camouflage here. You will see a lot of different patterns here, but these would mostly be the exception.

I do have at home a very good Russian book on the subject with plenty of surprising photos, but in any case the stress is vehicles other than green would be very rare. By the end of April I may be able to scan some bits for you... :(

7. skunk works

skunk works Ace

Thank You Sir, I'll keep lookin at the bookstore for different pictures.
    One of my sets of instructions has, as you say, a splotch pattern of a different shade of green. I've never seen this in photos though. I'm trying to achieve reality as close as possible.
    My Berlin vehicles have the "White" recognition stripe around the turrets, as well as some with (homemade)plates of "spaced" armor around forward hull compartments. (I saw this in a photo of a SU-152 in Berlin).
    I've also seen "steel mesh" around the turret of a T-34/85 in a photo. For the same purpose (of Panzerfaust protection) as the plate (I presume). Is this stuff added by individual crews?, or late war standard.
    I'm just trying to get it right.
    Zvezda makes some good stuff, you can't find anywhere else. I have 2 "Crash Boom" guns ZiS-3 MOD.42, 76.2 antitank guns. I changed the barrel on one to make it a 50. I heard they had the same carriage/shield.

8. Fortune

Fortune Member

what exactly is a recognition stripe? does it have to do with the same thing as the stripes on our planes on ww2?

9. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

The Russians do use camoflauge patterns on their tanks at least occasionally. This generally consists of painting a reddish brown pattern of large irregular stripes over the dark green vehicle.
    Another variant is a pattern of black applied irregularly. This appears to be more rare than the brown.
    Locally, some Russian tanks got applications of mud in irregular patterns on the vehicle as well.
    There are also a wide variety of unit markings of various sorts that can be applied. Early in the war a thin yellow stripe can be painted around the turret slightly below the top. Many brigades had distinctive markings that they applied also. In one case a white triangle was painted on the turret tops.
    The Berlin / very late war Soviet recognition stripes were done at the request of the Western Allies who had accidentally shot up Soviet tanks on several occasions in air strikes. These stripes consist of a large white cross on top of the turret and a white stripe around the top edge extending over the side slightly.

10. skunk works

skunk works Ace

I knew it was for either air strikes or artillery spotters, (to avoid pulverizing friendlies), but until now I thought it was for Russian guns. I didn't know it was a Western request. I guess it kinda turned out as a "2-fer".
    I've seen the yellow stripe before, but I never knew the significance of it.
    Thanks for the "heads up", Mr. T.A.
    I thought it might have been as the fuseloge stripe on German planes... White = Africa, Yellow = Russia, Blue = Defense of the Reich.
    So much for thinking.

11. Za Rodinu

SkunkW, I left my scanner behind, but I brought my Russian book on tank camouflage (called, wait for it... Kamouflazh) with me and will try and photograph what I can to send to you. I'll be doing something this weekend.

I did not say you should aplly patterns of more than one green! I was telling you that you can vary the greens a bit, or it will appear you only have one bucket of paint and you are dipping your models in that! :D

12. skunk works

skunk works Ace

That's the good thing about latex paint, it comes right off again. If you need to.
    I have a dremmil tool with a nylon "soft" & "wire" wheel (both home-made)(of course), takes paint right off.
    Currently I have 61 latex colors, and 39 enamel (couldn't find em in latex). Easier to clean brushes and all.
    I assure you, I'm not a "1" bucket guy!
    Over 30 different size, shape, and texture brushes as well.
    I've been doin this since small, small, childhood. Why...I'm not sure.
    Oh I know now...the "idle" mind is the DEVIL'S playground! (as Grandma used to say)
    I await new territories of painting discovery, in all photos.

[ 21. March 2006, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: skunk works ]

13. Za Rodinu

Oh Skunk Works of the multiple bucket [​IMG] , spare a minute and go here!

This is the site I was telling you about, but it's working now.

In any case, I intend to send you some camo patterns other than plain green this weekend.

What kind of latex paint are you using, I'm puzzled.

14. Za Rodinu

SW, go to photobucket to see some images I photographed from my book for you.

I'm sorry for the bad quality, but I don't have my scanner nearby, only my digicam.

Please bear in mind that these are not typical at all, and within the same unit the next tank would certainly be quite different from the first.

15. Miller

Miller Member

I'm big on 1/35 armor and 1/35 figures as well as 1/16 figures. Some 1/9 scale busts too. One of my goals is to one day build a huge 1/35 diorama of any urban battle from WWII. Specifically I have in mind Aachen or Stalingrad.

16. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Got some 1/35 tanks : 2 Panthers, 1 Tiger, 1 Sherman, and 1 PzIV ( looks good for the Germans,right? ;) Also I have one Catalina, and 1 Hurricane, 2 Stukas.

I´ve bought two Panthers, two Tigers,one Ferdinand and also a couple T-34´s in the last five years so that I can later on ( once my studies are finally over ) build them and colour different camouflage on them. I think I also got one Spitfire, one Thunderbolt waiting as well.

And yes, I started Red Baron´s triplane 20 years ago and it´s only 25% ready since so got alot to do once I get to start...

Anyway, found this:

For some WW2 markings as examples

http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Stencilit___Pochoirs.html

17. skunk works

skunk works Ace

Thanks for the "Pics" za.
    That is actually more camo on Russian tanks than I've seen so far.
    I like the design on the 122, and intend to copy it for mine.
    Acrylic & latex are (as far as I'm concerned) ...interchangable words.
    If that was your point on contention, oh Za of exactness!
    Taxes done, and golf season is here, so modeling will just have to wait...again.
    Interesting point Kai.
    I think most modelers are intrigued by the "Red Baron" and the entire "Flying Circus".
    I fully intend to (someday) have more than a few hanging from the ceiling. 1/72 scale.
    Many of the prominent names (and their machines) of that period will be batteling for the space above my desk!

18. Za Rodinu

If you add up the variety of planes the Flying Circus flew (Alb. D.III, D.V, D.Va, Pflaz D.III, Fokker Triplane, Fok. D.VII, Fok. D.VIII), moreover each pilot having his own markings over the squadorn official marking set, then this should keep you busy for a lifetime or more :D

19. skunk works

skunk works Ace

I have Verner Voss & Frank Luke already.
    (a Fokker DR-1 & Spad 13)
    Probably 2 more Fokker D-7s, 2 D-3s, 2 DR1s, Eindekker
    German
    Sopwith Camel, SE-5a, Dh-2
    British
    Newports 28 & 17, 2 Spad 13s
    French
    7 against 7,
    As with everything...once your research and your plans are solid...the work is easy.

20. TA152

TA152 Ace

I was looking at the German Eastern front markings and was interested in the swastikas with the short legs. Do you know any history of these markings ?