Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Modeling the Sherman m4a3e8

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by Prospero Quevedo, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

The only Sherman's in my scale is the m4a1 76 and the firefly. To make the early British m4a2 I guess it could shorten the barrel to the 75 gun length. I like the British reworked tanks the added stowage boxes the large stowage box one the back of the turret looks really good. I guess I could cut the front off my m4a1 and make a composite hull m4and a m4a6. They also have a m4a3 in my scale but only the vvss. Prestige came out with a m4a3 76 at least that's what the package says but a shot of the model shows definitely a cast hull not the welded hull wow what a boo boo but not as bad as trumpeter releasing a 700 scale kit that modelers angrily returned as it turned out they made an error and the kit was actually 600 scale. Anyway I still want to get the kit as I bought lots of m4a3s from takara and I can put the hvss gear on them to make my m4a3e8. Lol, I have to steal the turrets from my m4a1s but can put the other turrets on them to look like early 75 gun production. I think it's pretty odd they could make such an error with so much sources available today, pics, blueprints etc. imalsomreally like the mig 29'and got a model from academy, revell and dml, not a single one is correct not even really close. Theirs been more since and Ftoys that's done lots of great models has come out with a collector set that has one from the pics it looks really good, going to have to acquire one, lol. I'm still going to finish my rebuild of the dml kit as I've done so much work on it that I just think I should finish it. Cast hulls I read are much better they tend to be much stronger than welded hulls but welded hulls are cheaper and faster to to build that was the main reason the soviets built just about all their hull welded but like us cast or welded and sometimes both. I read to increase production we tried cadting turrets in pieces the smaller castings were faster to make then weld the pieces together I don't think they went on with it in a production run as they felt they didn't need to do it as our production of fully cast turrets was turning out turrets in large numbers. Even the Russians did it but did so in large production runs of the KV they cashed the turret in pieces the assembled it by finish welding, the front and back was one piece the sides another the deck was rolled plate I think. This supposedly sped up production as casting too a long time and was tedious works. They did both cast and welded turrets for the t34 to increase production. The couldn't cast enough turrets fast enough so they started welding turrets as well so not to slow the production lines, at least on the 76 gun turrets I think I read they did some 85 gun turrets welded bit most were casted. It's amazing they casted such things. They say casting makes a stronger armor than rolled plate. Anyway I've got the Sherman a1/3/4/6 covered have to figure out what to do for the 2/5. I really can't believe we gave the soviets so many tanks and 76 gunned ones at that when we could have used those ourselves pluse the Soviet out put of new tanks was pretty much as good as ours. They were building tanks about as fast as we were so I really don't see why we felt we needed to give the tanks at all. Planes I can see that as early Soviet planes were not great but they got lots better as the war went on. I wonder if they got their break thru for better aircraft by studying the planes the USA and Britain sent them. They had a plane they were building a new prototype the canopy looked like it was copied from the p39. The new high power radials were they copies of ours i do like the lagg 5/7. Anyway surprises me when model companies make big mistakes or poor choices. Like model companies trying to beat the competitors and release a kit based on the prototype but the production model has lots of changes so their kit needs serious rebuilding to match. Like LS they had beautiful kits one of the first to do full engraved kits instead ofvraisedvline. They did the f14 and 15 based on the preproduction and their noses were too small as the production planes had a larger radome for the combat radar system. I fixed a few by casting the nose off a dml kit and gluing them on looked good.

Half Track likes this.
  2. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

I have thought about buying one, but never did as I usually stick to ships or aircraft. But I have looked at one kit and I think it was the Tamiya. All I have now is a die cast model, M4 Sherman 1944. But that little thing really has detail! Comes on a base. I built a snap together model of one years ago but threw it away years ago too. I guess that doesn’t count. lol

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  3. Prospero Quevedo

Lol, hey I think some snap together are pretty good. Monogram had a number of snap together kits that had really good detail. A friend of mine bought some of the b25 kits as then they were actually the best best kits then, I'm sure there must be lots of newer kits that are much better now. Had lots of kits I got rid of too some tossed some blown up with fire works ya know you take a piccolo Pete and squeeze the end they sxploded pretty good, then there were those I sold cheap at the kit shows for parts or what. Lol,,I think I had a bunch of those GI joe tanks, wish i had kept those their collectors now. Got them at a clearance store, the store chain before it became big lots they had really great deals then I think I got them for like five bucks. Pic n save was the store they had great deals on clearance model kits got lots of deals that I then made good money on selling at the shows. Sadly as big lots they don't seem to have the good model deals they use to have.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    Half Track likes this.
  4. Half Track

Yes, we have a Big Lots here but all I buy there are wee wee pads for my chihuahua. The snap together Sherman I built was a Testors brand.

5. Prospero Quevedo

Testors was an interesting company they got the c5 Galaxy molds formally Sunnys and others, shot some test shots and then bagged them and I got like three for ten bucks back when the kit was 50, now 100-150. Damn I can't believe how much kits are kits I got for 3-6 are now like 25-35. Just kills me how expensive everything is these days. Makes me wish I had bought more or didn't sell so much of my collection, I did it to try to preserve my marriage my ex was always fighting with me to throw out my models I told her she was crazy they were worth money and I wasn't going to throw them out so I made a deal epithet her to reduce my collection and sell it. Hell I made seven grand on eBay. Then got laid off and spent most of it on living expenses. My best day at the kit shows I made five hundred after table expenses not bad since my average price was 8-10. There was a couple of companies kits I sold I would rather scratch build than buy those kits they were terrible kits and really out of scale at times. Can't remember there names one started with a m and no longer exists the other was otaki they had a lot of hits or misses. A few of their kits are still about the best on the market as no or few newer kits have been made. Their f102 is still about the best but lacks a lot of detail and has a few errors I'm trying to rework a couple for casting and correct the errors and added more detail. I'd like to try and add the missile bays like the monogram kit that's 48 or 32 scale a much larger scale than 144 but I'm going to see how I can do or at least try. Still sorting out my kits hope to get things sorted and post pics of my projects by next month.

6. Half Track

Could have floored me about a month ago when my wife told me to bring my models out and put them on the mantle, in the living room. And I put three more on a server in the dining room, per her. She cleaned her things off. She said I should be able to see them more often instead of in the bedroom or garage. And she told me to hang my USS Nautilus over the mantle. Something’s up.
    709D4BF7-D9A1-4210-B83B-2E5B7DB90E17.jpeg

George Patton and Kai-Petri like this.
  7. Prospero Quevedo

Wow that looks kewl my ex was a real b...witch. She grabbed a kit I was repackaging for eBay and ripped the box in half and threw it in the trash we had a huge fight I told her off she beat on me with her fists I walked out took a long walk from Oceanside pier to central Carlsbad that's a long walk there and back when I got back she was crying she was sorry and we patched things up that time. Anyway that's kewl lol, maybe she's buttering you up for a honey do or is it time for a new car? Still looks great

Half Track likes this.
  8. Half Track

No, not a new car. This 2016 Toyota RAV4 will have to last for a long time. Just to be nice I suppose. She’s gotten me through a lot of sickness through the years.

9. Prospero Quevedo

Well that kewl I bought my ex before we split a new car about four or five years before we split. Funny I had to run back to the house to get my pay stubs for the financing the car was black when I left and white when I got back and it was a few hundred more. Found out the sales guy talked her into a car with a more expensive radio and sound package front and back stero. Oh heck what will be will be, it wasn't too expensive a Saturn ion. I think gm was wrong to drop them ok they were their lowest profit makers but the line had a high customer satisfaction most of gm couldn't say that and dropping hummer the hummv, is still highly valued in most countries Japan is making copies as well as the Chinese PLA, the Chinese wheels look interesting wonder if there some type of puncture proof non inflatable, looks almost like a tracked wheel or some thing unusual. Anyway she took it when she left I always wondered how that worked as the car was totally in my name and I had the title. Wonder if it's still running or she ruined or wrecked it like her past cars.

Half Track likes this.