Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

More destroyer Georg Thiele wreck pics.

Discussion in 'Surface and Air Forces' started by ULITHI, Jul 27, 2010.

1. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

If this link has already been posted, please delete this.

I did a search here, and this topic has been discussed with some pictures and links attached.

However, I found a good collection on maritimequest.com that has some good close up wreck photos that I did not see here.

I would love to see this someday while its still there.

MaritimeQuest - Z-2 Georg Thiele Page 1

2. RAM

RAM Member

I have visited the wreck several times, last time in October 2008. If you look in the member's gallery under the signature 'RAM' you will find some more pictures taken by me of the Z2 Georg Thiele wreck. You will also find pictures of other German destroyers that were run aground in April 1940, taken by German soldiers during the war.

ULITHI likes this.
  3. RAM

RAM Member

I found some more pics from the area.
    The wreck is easy to find, but it may be a little bit arduous to get there. You leave the E6 main road right before the Rombakken bridge and drive eastwards until you find a parking lot by an hydroelectric power station. From there there is half an hour walk to the wreck, but take care. You have to cross a creek and there are slippery rock slopes along the trail, as you can see on one of the pictures. Don't fall into the fjord, the water is ice cold!
    There are also rocks and big boulders along the path, so imagine how it was for those german sailors back in 1940 when the ground was also covered with 8' of snow.

If you continue to the the end of the fjord, which will take the rest of the day, you will find three more destroyers (last picture), the Z9 'Wolfgang Zenker', the Z11 'Bernd von Arnim' and the Z18 'Hans Lüdemann'.

Attached Files:

mikebatzel likes this.