Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

morning reports - May 4 1944 - my dad detached to 30th general hospital

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by gizzyboy, Oct 19, 2016.

1. gizzyboy

gizzyboy New Member

Hello......i am attempting to obtain information regarding the service of my dad in the ETO - all of these years i was under the impression or informed by family members that my dad jumped on D-day into Normandy, until recently i was provided some documentation and information that seems to prove otherwise - he did jump in Sicily with the 505th PIR 82nd airborne, however the morning report of May4 1944 shows he was detached to 30th general hospital in Liecestershire England, and no further reports show that he was back in time for d-day - im wondering if anyone can shed some light on what it would mean if he was detached as opposed to transfered, is that the same thing, etc....i did write to the National Archives requesting his military records or whatever ones are available to me, but still waiting......some of the info I obtained is below

"An Accident May 2, 1944, and the men from Company F of the 505th Prcht Inf
    (under files that are 19 reports to go with this article)
    Pfc Ronald H. Wynn ASN: 20433971 was wounded May 2, 1944, by artillery along with 8 other Soldiers that day (most likely a mortar or a grenade that hit a group of Soldiers who were watching a demonstration).
    8 Company F 505th Prcht Inf Soldiers went into the 30th General Hospital May 2, 1944, mentioned on the Morning Report for May 2, 1944 (WE1). Pfc Wynn shows up on May 4, 1944, Morning Report stating he went into the 30th General Hospital May 2, 1944, as well (WE2)."

"This incident happened at the mortar range established at bradgate park on the outskirts of Leicester. Ed Dugan was a long standing member and director of the C47 Old Timers Jumb Club"

I'm really trying to determine if he made it to Normandy on D-day or not, actually if he made it at all

thanks

View attachment 25067

Attached Files:

Buten42 likes this.
  2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

His discharge should note a Normandy Campaign star if he jumped on D-day.

3. gizzyboy

gizzyboy New Member

ok thank you that's good information

4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!

5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Welcome to the Forum, gizzyboy. I have a couple of observations/thoughts.

First, family stories are not always the most reliable. It is possible that, over the years, his jump in Sicily became him jumping on D-Day. I'm not saying that is what happened, but it is a possibility. You are doing the right thing by seeking confirmation of the family story.

Second, the fact that he did not return to F/505 PIR by June 1944 does not mean he did not jump on D-Day. It was not unusual for soldiers who were injured and assigned to a medical unit to be assigned to a different unit after they were well enough to return to duty. Again, just raising a possibility.

6. gizzyboy

gizzyboy New Member

thank you both i really appreciate your replies - TD-Tommy i can imagine that happening, years passing and his jumping in Sicily got "distorted" into jumping on D-day, and i also am curious if he got assigned to a different unit after hospitalization - if there are any records of my dad left after the 1973 fire im hoping i will get some information
    thanks again !

7. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Do you have his discharge papers? The Normandy Campaign should would be listed there, as someone mentioned above.Most men registered a copy with their local court house....

8. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

Welcome!

9. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

The discharge form can be confusing because the unit he's attached to is usually a stateside unit that has no relationship to where, or with whom, he served in combat.

The real story is hidden in the details. They should list the number of jumps, campaigns, awards, wounds and so on. From that you can piece together the story.

10. gizzyboy

gizzyboy New Member

thanks for welcoming me everyone, very cool ~ i do not have any records at all , no discharge papers although i did request them and any records that are available to me as next of kin

11. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

You'll get them, eventually. When you do, photograph the discharge and post it here. Some of the guys are expert at dissecting all the little details that aren't obvious to the rest of us.

12. Buten42

Buten42 Member

13. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Unfortunately, the 30th General Hospital is not listed as having a unit history here https://www.med-dept.com/unit-histories/
    I did find that it was in England, so it's entirely possible that he jumped on D-Day. As has been stated above, any records that you can obtain, especially his discharge papers, will help. Let us know what you find so we can do what we do best.

14. gizzyboy

gizzyboy New Member

ok thanks again you guys, i appreciate your friendliness - i did a status check for the records i requested and i received a reply saying December 16th or sooner, i'll post an update when ? if i receive anything

15. gizzyboy

gizzyboy New Member

Well, I received a letter from the National Archives saying that whatever records remain after the fire can be obtained by sending them $70 - I contacted them questioning the $70 charge even though I'm next of kin (son) and they just pretty much repeated send us $70 , I'm unemployed , I could come up with the $70 but it seems a bit excessive and doesn't jive with the information on their website which say next of kin can receive records if the veteran is deceased which he is :-(

16. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Unfortunately, what they are telling you is correct for records that are considered Archival (that is, if the soldier left military service 62 or more years ago). Once they are Archival records, even the NoK have to pay the appropriate fee. The fee schedule is very simple: $25 for 5 pages or less, $70 for 6 or more pages. Go to this link www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records and scroll down to the section "$ Cost".

It is a bit steep, especially if you end up getting the minimum number of pages. I would ask them if they can tell you about how many pages you will receive and what the documents are. Any info they give you will help you decide if it will be worth the $70 fee.

17. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

How long after you first requested the info did you receive the letter asking for $70? I'm curious. I'm in the waiting period and haven't received a request for payment yet. Thanks!

18. gizzyboy

gizzyboy New Member

yeah Tommy776 after I posted that I researched it more and saw the charging part , they told me $70 so maybe that means there are 6 documents or more
    thanks for your input , much appreciated

KMZgirl, it took a while because they said they never received the signature page although the fax went through successfully so I ended up having to do a second request , took a month or little more before I got that $70 letter

19. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

I hope you are able to come up with the money. I am unemployed as well or I would have hired a researcher. Thanks for the response!

20. gizzyboy

gizzyboy New Member

your'e welcome and thank you !!