Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

MOS and other info

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by julielynn79, Apr 26, 2015.

1. julielynn79

julielynn79 New Member

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the less glorified duties while in WWII. I am interested in information on Army mechanics or transportation in the Mediterranean Theatre. I have several questions:

Were mechanics of wheeled vehicles also their drivers?

Were they merged into an infantry i.e. 7th infantry regiment as part of its own company? Or were they considered cavalry? Or were they part of the QM?

Did mechanics and drivers fight with the foot soldiers? Or were they held back from the front lines?

Does anyone know specific references in "The Green Books" where I can read up, without having to read through the entire collection?

Did they go through the same basic training before specialty training?

Any info that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

2. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I'm not an expert on such things you ask about, but most truck drivers had elementary mechanic training, good enough for minor maintenance of their vehicles. Anything that required heavier work was tended to by the motor pool personnel. I think in the US divisions that was handled by the maintenance battalion. Mechanics and maintenance men were in their own support units, usually at the regiment and division level. Infantrymen filled out the infantry battalions, but each company had their own organic quartermasters, armorers, admin, commo, and cooks, etc. These non-combatant types usually didn't fight as a part of their daily routine, but did when enemy penetrations cut into the line from time to time, for example the Battle of the Bulge. Lots of non-combatants got a chance to see the elephant there.

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

4. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

I met a British NCO Wally Harris who was awarded a military medal for gallantry. In September 1944 he engaged a German column with a browning machine gun he had fitted to his jeep. Hie m,edal was unusual as it was for fighting rather than carrying out his function under fire.

Mechanics, particularly working with armoured recovery teams recovering or repairing tanks on the battlefield could work very close to or in beyond the front line. Wally told me that he had fitted the browning to huis Jeep in Normandy because in Sicily he often found himself on his own with a mechanic driving around areas which might contain enemy.

5. julielynn79

julielynn79 New Member

All of your responses have been very helpful. Does anyone know if mechanics moved with the infantry from bivouac area to staging area to the lines to bivouac area again? Or were they also drivers, moving supplies constantly from the landing beaches?

On the MOS list as provided by Graybeard, I saw "965 Mechanic, Automotive, Wheel Vehicle (Third Echelon) maintenance". Could anyone tell me what Third Echelon means?

Thanks again!

6. SirJahn

SirJahn Member

First Echelon was usually the driver doing oil changes, tire rotation, replacing wiper blades, etc. Motor stables activities
    Second Echelon was the unit motor pool/maintenance personnel doing some major services and replacement of parts
    Third Echelon was General Maintenance done at higher level doing general overhauls, major reconstruction
    Depot maintainence is the next level which does complete rebuilds.

7. julielynn79

julielynn79 New Member

Thanks, Sir Jahn! You are my BFF today! Much appreciated!