Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

MOS specifications for WWII USMC?

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by ggent001, Mar 28, 2012.

1. ggent001

ggent001 Member

HI folks,

I'm trying to figure out the MOS for a WWII Marine. The MOS reads 501 but I can't seem to figure out what this stands for. Does anyone havea good link or resource for decoding WWII USMC MOS codes?

Thanks!!

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

You could try here, but I don't see a 501 for the USMC HyperWar: USMC Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) Table--WWII
    You can also check this answer from a Col. Lynn which explains how to get the information.
    Answer
    "Dear Hubert Ryan,
    The following information was provided by the U.S. Naval Historical Center at 202-433-4132: call the U.S. National Archives at 301-837-3510 and request a copy of NAVMAC 1008-PD. A archivist also said to me that located in the archives are the U.S. Navy Bureau of Personnel or BUPERS records which contain both the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps MOS listing. You want to request Record Group 24 BUPERS and Record Group 127-U.S. Marines. The FAX for the U.S. National Archives is 301-837-1752. The web site for the U.S. National Archives is the following: National Archives and Records Administration. If you are requesting by letter, the following information is needed: complete mailing address, daytime telephone number, and specify the request in detail. Send the letter to:
    U.S. NationalArchives
    Textual Records Reference Staff of the National Archives
    Room 2400
    8601 Delphi Road
    College Park, Maryland 20740"
    Military History: WW II MOS list, marine corps mos, radar repair

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

You may also want to consider the possibility that it is a typo. For example, in the HyperWar link that Lou provided, there is a 521 Other Duty (PFC/Private). On the other hand, that list looks rather short and may not be comprehensive. The other answer that Lou found looks promising. You may want to check with your local library and see if they can track down a copy of NAVMAC 1008-PD which seems to be the publication which contains a Marine MOS list for the WW2 period. Or, if you're patient, you may want to wait and see if someone here has a copy and can look it up for you.

4. ggent001

ggent001 Member

5. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I can say for sure that the HyperWar list is only a fragment, no listing for riflemen, machinegunners, mortarmen, tankers, communicators, wiremen, artillery gun crew men, FDC, intelligence, .......

6. Joe Armstrong

Joe Armstrong New Member

There was no MOS 501 for Marines - most probably a translation/visual/typo for MOS 521 - Pvt/PFC other standard military duties generally for the mission of THAT unit, ie tanks, artillery, aviation, etc. But for a Recruit/Private-basic enlisted Marine.

7. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Incorrect-USMC MOS 501 was Administrative Clerk per United States Marine Corps Manual of Military Occupational Specialties, NAVMC 1008-PD, 1945.

8. Carronade

Carronade Ace

"no listing for riflemen" is a rather glaring omission for the Corps ;)

9. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I have the manual; United States Marine Corps Manual of Military Occupational Specialties, NAVMC 1008-PD, 1945, saved to my computer. The Hyperwar list is just a fragment. There are literally hundreds of MOS' listed for both officers and enlisted. There is also a separate section that gives a paragraph or so description of the MOS and duties involved.

BTW, rifleman is 745-rifleman, automatic is 746-rifle marksmanship instructor is 937

745 RIFLEMAN 8
    Loads, aims, and fires a rifle, and employs hand grenades and bayonet to destroy enemy personnel and to assist advance against an enemy position. May operate a flame thrower. May perform supervisory duties incident to the control, coordination, and tactical employment of a fire team or one or more squads.
    Must be capable of field stripping, assembling, and performing minor maintenance of weapon. Must have general familiarity with the fundamentals of infantry tactics. Should be proficient in the use of such hand weapons as rifle, automatic rifle, carbine, pistol, rocket launcher, rifle grenade, hand grenade, flame thrower, and bayonet. Should be proficient in the techniques of hand-to- hand combat.