Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

MP40 Repro

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by PzJgr, Mar 10, 2019.

1. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Howdy Rogues,
    if this is not the place for this topic, please move. I have acquired a new toy. A GSG MP40. Can't remember why I got interested in it to cause me to do some research but while visiting the local gun range I saw that had one for sale. Brand new and it was just not moving. So we negotiated and got for a discounted price. Took me a week but finally got to fired it at the range. I have never fired an original so nothing to compare it with but the reviews I read were 50/50. I did not have any issues with misfire. I went through 5 magazines as my arm got tired. It does not come with a folding stock so I used the sling as support but I think I need to adjust that a little bit more. So the weight got heavier as I shot. I thought I would go through the 25 rounds in a heartbeat....nope. On the 3rd mag I actually had to take a break between every 10 rounds. So anyway accuracy is good although it shot low to the left but it was consistent. A fun toy to play with but would be awesome to have an original but at $18,000....will have to wait until I win the lottery

BTW, anyone else here have one or tested one out?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KodiakBeer likes this.
  2. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

3. harolds

harolds Member

9mm or 22lr?

4. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

9mm

5. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

That's very cool. Are you going to jump through the ATF hoops to get a stock for it?

6. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Yes if I can find it and paperwork submitted. Dang govt gotta get their cut

7. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

looks like a lot of fun.
    very nice

8. lwd

lwd Ace

A friend of mine was at a police shoot one time and got a chance to either fire or watch a number of historic weapons fire (he was there as part of an ACW cannon crew). The MP-40 had a fair number of reliability issues from what I recall him saying. The BAR on the other hand was very reliable and accurate. Does make one wonder just how many historic weapons are held in police departments under various labels.

Sounds like you might actually be better off with your reproduction if you are using it as a shooter.

9. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I have no personal experience with an MP40, but reliability issues with older weapons is nearly always the magazines. If you drop them just once the feed lips are misaligned, which is easily fixed with a pair of needle-nose pliers IF you realize what the problem is. Newer magazines are almost always made of heavier gauge steel than old ones and have far fewer issues.

10. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

I've never encountered a reliability issue with an original MP40. It is a dead simple, well made, and highly controllable firearm. I agree with KodiakBeer -- it was likely an issue with the magazine. I've handled "bum" MP40 magazines before but have never tried to fire an MP40 using one. The MP40 mag is a double-stack/single-feed design which is a type notorious for unreliability. Also take into consideration that the magazine is likely at least 73 years old (I do not believe any MP40 mags were produced in quantity post-war).

As for historic firearms held by police departments, it is surprising how many (both in Canada and the US) hold onto their Thompsons!

11. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I would think that with the passage of time and use, the weapon would be worn out therefore unreliable. That is my main reason for not purchasing any antique weapons. If I buy them, I will use them. No trophies for me. Especially for prices asked.

As for the repro, I do like it. Don't get the full experience but good enough

12. lwd

lwd Ace

I'd kind of assumed it might be the ammo. I do remember reading that Lugers in particular could be quite picky about what ammo you fed them and wouldn't have been surprised to here the same of an MP-40. Given that it was probably a confiscated gun that had seem some considerable use by people not very familiar with it (many police officers?) magazine issues or general maintenance or some combination are also a distinct possibility.

13. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Old guns, and old magazines also, usually just need the springs replaced. The chamber throats can erode and degrade accuracy, but that doesn't affect function. So, unless something is actually broke, as in a small part fell out in pieces, you can generally just order new springs and go to work.

14. harolds

harolds Member

Wolff Springs might be your best option!

I shot one of these once when we had a class III store in town. The owner took me out and let me try it. I was going to buy it then he showed me a pristine Thompson with several box mags and one 50 round drum -all nicely nestled in a viola case! Cost: $600 ($800 w/transfer tax). Unfortunately, my wife raised such a stink that I backed out of the purchase. Few things have I regretted more!

George Patton likes this.