Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

music at the movies

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by urqh, Mar 28, 2003.

1. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Cant see it anywhere but if done before, ignore...

WW2 Movie music...What, and never mind the movie, how good or bad, how accurate or inaccurate, what music from a ww2 related movie would you rate as part of your top 5?

Mine, well top 5 until I remember some others, and might change as Im reminded of others..

5. Bridge over river Kwai..yep I know...well someone had to mention it...Its the whistling...

4. 633 SQN, ok so far both not true to life, but the music was better than the movies...

3. Dam busters march..particulary when played at end of movie and Barnes Wallace left with his thoughts.

2.Bridge too far, not whole score...Son Bridge episode...you never built a bridge before son?

1. ok not ww2, but I started the thread so who cares...Platoon, M.I.C.K.E.Y. M.O.U.S.E. said lots..

Mine will change....Im sure...

2. No.9

No.9 Ace

Well done urqh, you start off by asking for film music saying it doesn’t matter if the film was good or not, then go on to compere the music to the film? Der………..my brain hurts. :D

W.W.II film scores range from the sublime to the ridiculous, don’t they? I refuse to believe that everyone is somebody’s favourite? Trouble is there’s so much. Suddenly someone mentions something, then you think, ‘oh yea, I like that but forgot it’.

Anyway, good idea and I’m sure there’ll be several ‘favourites’ of mine someone will remind me of :eek:

Of those I can think of now, five I’ll put forward (in any order) are:

Burning Bridges (Kelly’s Heroes)
    Dambuster’s March (The Dambuster’s)
    633 Squadron (633 Squadron)
    Where Eagles Dare (Where Eagles Dare)
    The Great Escape (The Great Escape)

And, having defined the criteria as W.W.II, then gone outside it, :rolleyes: I’ll go more than 5 and say the Theme from Lawrence of Arabia, and the Green Leaves of Summer from the Alamo, (bet Carl likes that one too ;) )

No.9

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I think we've been here before but for me, Ron Goodwin ( sadly recently deceased ) reigns supreme with : -

Battle of Britain
    Where Eagles Dare
    633 Squadron

plus ( of course ! :cool: )
    The Dam Busters ( Eric Coates )
    and
    A Bridge Too Far ( John Addison )

4. urqh

5. Martin Bull

HeHeHe...You hum it, urqh, and I'll try to come up with the words ! :D :D ;)

( Actually, the bit you mean is the 'Battle Of Britain Theme'itself . Confusingly, the music used over the title credits ( the Germanic bit ) was the 'Aces High March' ).

I've got them both stored on my computer media library - so I'm playing them while typing this.... Sad, or what ?? :( :( ;)

[ 29. March 2003, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: Martin Bull ]

6. No.9

No.9 Ace

Yes Sir...and let's add encoding to that :D :D :D

I still think it's a good idea for a thread. [​IMG] I just wish I could call all the old film scores to mind, especially those from the B/W era?

Agree Ron Goodwin is probably the most memorable and prolific.

Martin - (cross thread) As you are kindly looking out for the remaindered Cockleshell Commando for me by Bill Sparks, could you also look for Blondie (as in Blondie Hasler - not Deborah Harry, who's past her sell by date and should be remaindered when she gets her bus pass :D ).
    [​IMG]

Ta

No.9

7. Martin Bull

I'm keeping my eyes open, No. 9.... Sadly, Bookends of Marlow & Charing X Road seem to have gone bust, or at least their shops have suddenly disappeared.

A pity, they were one of the best 'remainder' shops... :(

8. No.9

No.9 Ace

Thanks Martin, that would explain why, having found their phone number, there's no answer?

While looking on the net, found this page:
    http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper/uk-lond.htm#charing
    Probably isn't that recent but may be useful?

Intended to get the 1923 history of the South Staffs at a one-off auction. Prepared to go around £20, but some old git of a dealer went mad at £46 - stroll-on! Still finding winners elsewhere though. [​IMG]

No.9

9. Martin Bull

Another superb one ( which hasn't gone bust - yet ) is Galloway & Porter in Cambridge. Not sure of their phone number but must be on the 'net somewhere ?

( Err-think we're getting a wee bit off topic ! [​IMG] )

10. Doc Raider

Doc Raider Member

Not to be a nerd, but the mickey mouse song was from the end of full metal jacket.

Anyway, I always liked guns of navarone (yeah I know spelling is off) but really liked the version that the Specials (a brit ska band) did of it.

11. charlie don't surf

charlie don't surf Member

Why can't they ever surprise us and put in Wipeout or Surfin' Bird to a scene with advancing German tanks? :D

Best regards/ Daniel

12. Doc Raider

Doc Raider Member

Hahahahaha!!! Agreed. Or Blitzkreig Bop.

I think we would get along. You like surf and the clash!!! :D Oh, and WWII.

Actually, on full metal jacket (I"m not sure why I keep bringing that movie up) they play the surfing bird after a marine shoots VC.

13. urqh

Yes Sir...and let's add encoding to that :D :D :D

I still think it's a good idea for a thread. [​IMG] I just wish I could call all the old film scores to mind, especially those from the B/W era?

Agree Ron Goodwin is probably the most memorable and prolific.

Martin - (cross thread) As you are kindly looking out for the remaindered Cockleshell Commando for me by Bill Sparks, could you also look for Blondie (as in Blondie Hasler - not Deborah Harry, who's past her sell by date and should be remaindered when she gets her bus pass :D ).
    [​IMG]

Ta

No.9
    </font>[/QUOTE]Encoding? Whadya expect 9, Im now a systems annalyst for my pains...Know any electricians? Go to their house and you'll find quadruple adaptors and light switches hanging off walls...

Changed my mind again....Number one choice..theme tune from virgin soldiers...no that aint right not ww2..ok then what about....one of the old black and white calssics....Dunkirk...theme tune when civilian sailors at port handling point see British soldiers returning...and decide to sail own boats over..?

14. urqh

OK, pick on Urqh day....full metal jacket, platoon, hamburger hill....look Im gettng old.

Yep your right, Full Metal Jacket, coy strengh? singing it going over open ground at end of film..

Classic soldier humour I suppose.

15. No.9

No.9 Ace

Say no more urqh, know what you mean. A friend of mine runs an auto bodywork shop. He spent two years gradually restoring a white roller for himself. Now it’s finally done, it’s standing at the back of his house turning green.

Now, as you work with computers, a pensioner veteran friend of mine has decided he will get onto the net. We can come up with a 14” screen for him, but he needs a base unit and printer. He’s only going to type letters and view the net. Would you know of something with min 233, 128 RAM, 3 gig hd and 56k modem, or better, that could be donated or sold him cheaply? Naturally its got to have reasonable sound and graphics and so much the better if a larger screen is included?

No.9

16. No.9

No.9 Ace

Thanks Martin, I'll give that one a try.

I agree this is not 'music', but hey, this is urqh's thread isn't it? Good fellow urqh, won't mind. :D

No.9

17. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

Platoon
    Schindler's List
    Saving Private Ryan
    Band Of Brothers

18. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Galloway and porter rules, I got 3 books on german uniforms, british army hand book, couple of osprey books and some plato, all for about £30, would have cost me around £80 full price. Fantastic place. Anyhow, back to music:

Burning bridges from Kelly's Heroes is great
    Mickey Mouse from FMJ is good (I have always wanted to do that at cadets)
    Dambusters March, excellent and always sounds good in parades etc
    Dawn Patrol (excellent film, I like the song 'stand your glasses steady', comes up a lot in the film)

Martin, dont worry, my music list is just as bad, aside from the aces high march it includes 'Westerwalt', 'Panzerlied', 'Erika', Bomben Auf England', 'Unser Rommel' and the old soviet national anthem, worryingly though I can sing along to most of them, thats what comes of being a re-enactor though I guess.

19. charlie don't surf

charlie don't surf Member

Ofcourse we could Doc. ;)

Best regards/ Daniel

20. urqh

9, Where abouts in Uk does he live? Ask becuase I know of some reasonable reconditioning places on trading estates etc...When you say vet, is he also on a Mod pension? Looking at ex forces associatin angles...Although I have a few contacts who might be willing to be coerced too..especially if I can say its for a fellow vet.