Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

My grandpa's medals came today!

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Krystal80, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

I have checked with a couple other places and one was a place that makes the shadow boxes. They told me he did get the PLM medal and that since it is a foreign award, our government (or whoever) only issues the ribbon, but that when making a shadow box he would be eligible for the PLM. Any other thoughts on this?

2. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

You might try buying it commercially through one of the online stores. Beings it is not an award of merit or valor there should be no restrictions on it's purchase.

3. Buten42

Buten42 Member

4. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

Thank you, yes that is where I got it. One for him and his brother was also eligible for one. Reading one of the above posts it sounded like maybe he wasn't eligible for the medal, just the ribbon. The medal expert at Medals of America said both should receive the medal as well, they just aren't automatically shipped to them when requesting replacement medals. He also informed me of the unit citation both were eligible for because of being in the Philippines.

5. M.F.S.

M.F.S. New Member

I know this is an old entry but where did you get your medals from? According to my Father's d/c paper he too was awarded the Philippine Liberation Ribbon with 1 Bronze Service Star. He also had a few more that I have never seen. Unfortunately he is gone now and I can't ask him what happened to the medals.

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member