Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"My Great Uncle Started WW1.

Discussion in 'Military History' started by GRW, Mar 11, 2014.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Not too sure I would admit to that.
    "To some he is hero, a selfless freedom fighter who liberated his nation after years of oppression.
    But to others he is a ruthless terrorist who lit the fuse for World War One, plunging Europe into years of darkness and despair.
    Now 100 years after 19-year-old Gavrilo Princip assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, as they rode through Sarajevo the act continues to create bitter divisions in a deeply fractured country.

+11

Among those caught in the middle of the row is Princip's great nephew who was given his name and still resides in East Sarajevo, where he runs a hotel.

Serbs who fled the region are collecting money to rebuild the family home in time for the centenary on June 28.
    [SIZE=1.2em]Princip's house is one of hundreds of gutted homes scarring the bleak plateau, untouched since they were sacked by Croat forces on the heels of fleeing Serbs at the end of the Bosnian war. The Sarajevo footprints have gone.[/SIZE]
    The house was razed three times, during the two world wars and again in 1995. They're wasting their time, said Gavrilo.
    'It will be burned down and destroyed again,' he said. 'We build and then we destroy. That's how things are in Bosnia.' "
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2578119/My-great-uncle-started-World-War-One-Grandson-man-assassinated-Franz-Ferdinand-caught-middle-diplomatic-row-Bosnia-plans-mark-centenary.html#ixzz2vf2d6GxI

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

I'm talkin' to my mouthpiece, gonna sue the muther'