Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

My Gunner Set Fire to a V-Boat

Discussion in 'War44 General Forums' started by Jim, Apr 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    The 2,473-ton Welsh collier "Sarastone" arrived in port from Lisbon at the beginning of January, 1941, following a battle with a V-boat, which left the latter disabled and on fire. The following account of this exploit by the "Sarastone's" gunner, Jim O'Neill, is told here by the ships master, Captain John Herbert.

Captain John Herbert, of Swansea, the master of the "Sarastone," told his story on reaching port. He said:
    The chief engineer came to me and explained that our boilers had blown. “We shall have to leave the convoy and take a chance on our own," he added.
    Our engines would not carry us faster than two knots. So while the rest of the ships steamed on we altered course and headed for Lisbon. I was having a nap in my cabin two days later when the second officer on the bridge shouted down the voice-pipe beside my bed: “There is something on the horizon that I don't like, sir.”
    When I got to the bridge I saw what appeared to be a mast about three miles distant. Then I saw it rise higher, until the streaming conning-tower of a V-boat emerged.
    I put "Action Stations" on and swung the ship round to bring the submarine astern, but while she was still lying on our quarter she fired, the shot falling off our starboard quarter. It was a warning to stop. We kept on. The V-boat's speed was about fifteen knots, and she overhauled us rapidly for ten minutes without firing. Then, about 4,000 yards from us, she loosed a further a five shots, but we held our fire. We've only a twelve-pounder, but I'd talked over with my naval gunner what we'd do in such a predicament and our plans were made. She was getting closer and closer. I held my breath waiting for the moment when we could open fire with any hope of damaging her. Her shells were uncomfortably close. My gunner, Jim O’Neill, is a naval pensioner who rejoined the Service as a reservist in September 1939. He was marvellous. The U-boat was about two thousand yards off when O’Neill opened fire. His first fell short but in perfect line. He fired again. A direct hit. We all cheered.
    I shouted, "Go on, O’Neill, give it to him!" His second shot fell at the base of the after gun, putting it out of action and causing yellow smoke to rise in a cloud. Our third and fourth shots were near misses, but the fifth burst 20 feet above the first hit, and the yellow smoke now turned black. The V-boat was still firing back, with only one gun.'
    Then we steamed on. I had orders not to risk my cargo.

Sarastone's gunner, Jim O'Neill

[​IMG]

"Daily Express" Jan 1941

2. Phuture

Phuture New Member

via War44
    That was crazy. I can't imagine how nerve-wrecking it was trying to speed away while getting shot at. And at the same time trying not risk the cargo.

3. Jeannie

Jeannie New Member

via War44
    Trying to get away and being shot at. How exciting yet scary all in one time. I bet his adrenaline was running high. I could not even imagine how or what he was thinking during that time.