Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

My Pacific War Map

Discussion in 'Land Warfare in the Pacific' started by 1986CamaroZ28, Dec 15, 2009.

1. 1986CamaroZ28

1986CamaroZ28 Member

Try to not criticize it too much, it hasn't been edited yet either. Check out Peleliu for some of the best pics. I did this for my Senior Project. The Pacific War - CommunityWalk

Otto, syscom3 and texson66 like this.
  2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Looks good to me, Camaro. I'm reading a book on Peleliu now.

One thing, though, Midway Island is to the NW of Hawaii.

3. 1986CamaroZ28

1986CamaroZ28 Member

Ya, about every single island I typed in the search/coordinate bar came up with nothing, so I had to find a real map online and try my best to place it in the right spot.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Disregarding the Midway issue, I think it looks pretty impressive. I haven't had a chance to look at all the points, but I like what I've seen. Good job.

5. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

I also think it is a pretty impressive map.

If you don't mind some minor criticism, the statement about the Richfield oil refinery in Santa Barbara (actually I think it was in Goleta) is incorrect. That was not the only direct attack on "US soil". The Attu and Kiska invasions in the Aleutian islands were both on "US soil", Fort Warren on the Oregon coast was also shelled by a Japanese submarine, although the fort did not return fire and no damage was done. I also believe the incendiary balloons that landed all over the Northwestern US were considered direct attacks on "US soil". Finally, the attack on Pearl Harbor, as well as the attack on Midway were, technically, attacks on US soil.

6. 1986CamaroZ28

1986CamaroZ28 Member

Ya, I realized that afterwards, I did the santa barbara thing like 4 months ago and kinda forgot about it. I think I meant it was direct in the way that we saw the enemy, and the blew up something big on our coast, after Pearl Harbor. The hot air balloons is kind of indirect fire, but I do agree that the bombings on Oregon should count as direct attack. And they did invade some of Alaska, which I have on the map, so later today I'll fix that statement.

*On February 23, 1942, not long after the outbreak of war in the Pacific, a Japanese submarine surfaced offshore and lobbed 16 shells at the Elwood Oil Field, about 10 miles (16 km) west of Santa Barbara, the only direct attack on the U.S. mainland during the war, and the first wartime attack by an enemy power on U.S. soil since the War of 1812. Although the shelling was inaccurate and only caused about $500 damage to a catwalk, panic was immediate. Many Santa Barbara residents fled, and land values plummeted to historic lows. Numerous dud shells have been retained by memorabilia-seeking locals.

That's what wikipedia says. Depends on how you mean when saying direct attack on U.S. soil.

7. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Not to nit pick, but i also noticed the Wake island statement as incorrect. The massacre mentioned was AFAIK only the civilian contractors retained on the island. there where numerous men who survived. Most of the PoW's were sent to China.

8. LRusso216

I'll leave the critiques of the information to those who are more knowledgeable on the details of the Pacific Theater. As a former Social Studies teacher, my biggest concern is the order in which the items are listed. I realize they are in alphabetical order, but if I was judging the project, I'd want to know why the items are not in chronological order. I think it would be much more powerful if one could follow the campaigns in the order they occurred to get a sense of the progress of the war. If that was not your intent, then what is the purpose of the map? To read the items alphabetically doesn't seem to give a sense of scale to the project.

My other question involves sourcing. For a project of this magnitude, I would expect to see a rather extensive list of sources for the information. Is it possible to add one or are you planning on handing in a separate source list? That would be critical for validating the project.​

Please understand that I love the concept. It's a concern with the execution that worries me. ​

9. 1986CamaroZ28

1986CamaroZ28 Member

Well I wish I could have the battles in chronological order, but it wouldn't let me do that. Source wise, most of the info came from wikipedia and USMC History textbook. This map took about 90 hours to do. When I was in american studies, the ww2 unit involved reading hiroshima and how we acted as terrorists. Then we moved on to transcendentalists and beatniks for a month. That's the main reason why I made the map, so if there's a chance some kid that that isn't wearing a flat brimmed hat with baggy pants wearing and a gangster shirt on wants know actaully learn about the Pacific in that class, the teacher can show him the map I made. This isn't suppose to be musuem history channel grade work, it was done so I could learn and maybe provide something in my history class that was missing because we're taught by revisionists.

10. syscom3

syscom3 Member

This is a great job, all things considered!

:)

11. LRusso216

Not a problem. I'm just looking at it from the point of view of a teacher giving a grade. What you have done is commendable. The question of sequence was one I wanted to check on. I kind of figured that it was a problem or you would have done it chronologically.

As far as your classmates are concerned; don't worry about what they do or don't do. You can only control what you do. Keep yourself on track, and as much as it pains me to say it, ignore your nimrod teacher. I spent a career trying to present a clear, fact-based but interesting, look at history. I did the same when I switched to geography. Unfortunately, not all teachers are as grounded in history as they should be. I hope you keep up your inquisitiveness, but please don't limit yourself to WW2. In order to understand the magnitude of the conflict, you need to have a clear understanding of the past. Read and inquire into a more wide-ranging historical background.

Good luck on finishing your project.

12. 1986CamaroZ28

1986CamaroZ28 Member

I edited wake too. I want to let people edit and change the descriptions and places so they're more correct, but turning that feature on means they can delete all my work as well. And there could always be that one person who will erase everything...

13. LRusso216

I suggest that you NOT turn that feature on. If Rogues have something to contribute (and you should source them), let them either post here or send you a PM and you make the adjustments yourself. However, do not change anything until you have checked on its reliability.

14. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

Man, I'm sure glad I'm no longer a prisoner in High School. I remember getting into it pretty hot and heavy with some of the ideologues among the teachers who wanted to turn us all into good little "America haters" or closet commies.

I certainly applaud you for recognizing that many teachers have agendas of their own and can't resist torturing history to achieve them. Wasn't much better in college, but there were those who refused to toe the Party line. keep up the fight; it WILL get better.

15. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

I loved the story about the future Japanese sub skipper tripping and getting cactus spines in his butt, I had read of it before, but don't know if it is true; it sounds a bit like an urban myth.