Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

My painting at the HMS Hood Association

Discussion in 'Art of War' started by ULITHI, Jul 30, 2010.

1. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

For anyone that might be interested, the HMS Hood Association was kind enough to post a piece of artwork I did of the ship under their paintings section of the website yesterday. (It’s the painting by Darren)
    It was done on a 9” x 12” canvas, using oil paint back in 2008. Unfortunately, due to its size, I did not get as detailed as I usually do, and there are some mistakes that I now cringe for making.

Nevertheless, I am indeed very, very honored and humbled by this, as I am not a professional artist, and also because I can take a part in helping remember this great epic story in human history.

http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/paintings.htm

2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Great work! It should be pointed out that your painting is the FIRST one to be seen when bringing up the "Hood's" web page. Excellent!

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Excellent! I am always envious of those with talent in drawing and painting, since I can do neither.

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Great painting! Congrats!

5. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Great work there my man! Like Lou I envy those who have artistic talent of any sort at all. Both my Grandfather and father had decent drawing skills, and Grandpa wasn't too bad at oils of dogs and horses (his two favorite things). The talent then skipped a generation (me and my siblings), but both of my sons are darn good at pen and ink work, neither has gone into oils however.

Again, great work!

6. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Well, thank you all for your kind compliments and salutes. However, I think I would trade my painting ability any day for you big boys ’incredible knowledge on the war.

7. Greg Canellis

Greg Canellis Member

Darren, very well done! I love oil paintings, and even dabbled a bit when I was younger...not that I was very good. But deep in my heart of hearts, I envision myself taking up the palette and brush again when I am too old and feeble to do anything else (maybe like Winston Churchill?). Please post any other works you have.

Greg C.

8. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Brilliant! I do paint (acrylic) and draw when time permits, so from from a different perspective also greatly appreciate the effort and skill required to produce a representation of something so well known!

9. Phantom of the Ruhr

Phantom of the Ruhr Member

[​IMG]