Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

My rifles of WWII

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by GundamGPO3, Dec 7, 2008.

1. GundamGPO3

GundamGPO3 Member

Skipper and krieg like this.
  2. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Nice!
    Keep us posted!!

3. GundamGPO3

GundamGPO3 Member

I will, Thanks :D I'm also looking into buying a Yugo M48 from a friend. It was spray painted, and really needs some love to bring it back to new-looking condition hehe.

4. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

That's a nice-looking K98 with laminated stock....

5. Slavic Marksman

Slavic Marksman Member

Really nice rifles,thanks for posting !

6. GundamGPO3

GundamGPO3 Member

Yea, the Kar98k is, by far, my favorite bolt-action rifle of all time, so I had to have one hehe. I know a lot of people like the war-torn look with all the old preservatives and wood color, but my personal taste is to make them look like new again. I do it so other people and myself can get a chance to see what the rifle looked like fresh off the assembly line and into the hands of the front line soldier. There is a slight blemish on the right side of the Kar98k's stock that I have been trying to get out without too much sanding, and I learned a trick called "bleeding out" the stain, so I am going to give that a try in the near future. All of these rifles will surely be completed sometime after the new-year.

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

you have a collection that is really getting interesting and they are restored with taste too

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Nice Rifles collection-and I am a fan of Mausers. One of these ages, i'll have some good photos of my Mauser w/ 25 round fixed Ansteckmagazin-taken and will have someone post them here.

9. GundamGPO3

GundamGPO3 Member

That's gotta be awesome! I was thinking about designing and machining a 20 round magazine for my Kar98k that would simply temporarily replace the floor plate. I hope you post them soon though :) And my rail will be completed any time soon hehe.

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks much. Also, if you want to see a picture of one that is almost identical to mine-see if you can find the excellent book series written about Mauser Rifles-which is called: "Backbone of the Wehrmacht-written by a man with the last name of Law. In particular-get volume Nr.2-which has one or two pages (I don't have my book with me off-hand to say what page(s) there are pics of ones similar to mine-posted at) but there is one or two examples on vol Nr.2 that show prototype Mause sniper rifles w/ 20 rd fixed magazines. Mine is an ever rarer bird because the fiexd mag is a 25 round mag ;-)) Alyway, all you really need for yours-instead of designing a mag of your own-is to locate an MG-13 magazine-which are the mags they used for these rifles. My rifle was made in 1935 and its magazine is stamped 1936-which is correct. Years ago somewhere on this site-I did have a pic or two of it posted. I don't know if it's still here or not but-look up a person by the name of Volkbert-because he was the one who posted it for me. Only thing is that its just 1 pic of it-which shows it butt to the left-end of barrel to the right-standing on a table with my German Army MG-Troops recruiting poster as part of the background.

If it's no longer posted, i'll see if I can fing a pic of it and send to E or Skipper to post for me.

Merry Christmas and take care--C.

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

When you have time, I'd love to see pictures of your Mauser(s) Carl!

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Skipper, will do so but, have to wait until I can get my Mauser and Krag rifles from my Nephews gun safe which is back in Corpus Christi-unfortunately. Dont know when were going back down there? Hopefully before Summer.

13. Henry G

Henry G Member

Nice collection.

Where do you normally purchase your rifles at?

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

If this q is for me? I get most of mine at Gun SHows. My 1898 Krag Carbine I got from a guy who spends the Winter in Texas and I got a fairly good deal on it at the time-which has it's original leather Rock Island Arsenal sling on is and I got two boxes of cartridges thrown in for good measure. Since buying that Krag Carbine-i've been told it's one of those Phillipine Contract rifles-which is supposed ot make it be worth much more as I was told.

The story is long about where I got my Mauser sniper from but in short:

It's had exactly 4 owners since built in 1935. The Curator of the Mauser Museum in Oberndorf, the G.I. who "liberated" the rifle, a Mauser rifle dealer in Houston, and myself. I've had this one for about 10 or so years now and the Krag a few months longer than that. Anyway, if you can get a copy of: Backbone of the Wehrmacht" by: Law, you will see a few pics in there of rifles that resemble mine but still have a detail or two of difference. Therre is only one rifle in there that almost exactly matches mine. Also, for a pic or two of one built in 1940/41-there is a book available at Barnes & Nobles bookstore that was written by a Vietnam Vet who captured his from a dead VC sniper that he shot. His rifle of course is in much used and battered condition--mine is absolutely mint. His also only has a 20 rd mag instead of 25 like mine-and I think his is a detachable while mine has a fixed mag.

Best regards-C.

PS, i'm going to attempt taking pics of it with a disposable Kodak camera-as soon as I can get my rifles out of my Nephews gunsafe in the coming ??? months.

15. GundamGPO3

GundamGPO3 Member

The 3 Mosins I picked up at the Gander Mountain that I work at. so I got them each for around $83.00. the Kar98k is from Mitchell's Mausers and before anyone gives me grief, I asked thorough questions about what I was 'really' getting, and he ended up telling me about this SS rifle that they were not advertising for sale in any magazine or even their main website. I asked if it had any documentation of proof, and in fact it came with all the documentation and certificate signed by the German curator himself. Also, for Christmas I just got a Walther P1, so I'll have to add some pictures of that too! And the Rail is coming along greatly so far. Just waiting for the metal to be refinished on the rifle itself, and I'll have some REAL pictures of the mount for everyone!

16. GundamGPO3

GundamGPO3 Member

Does anyone know where I could pick up an authentic bayonet for my Kar98k? I really want one for it, just to make it complete hehe.

17. drewthefan123

drewthefan123 Member

You can buy them online such as:

www.forthehunt.com
    www.auctionarms.com
    www.gunsamerica.com
    AIM
    Welcome to the RGUNS Internet Storefront

Note: To buy online you MUST have a C&R or a FFL, if not you better have friend tht has one that will be allowed to recive it. Other wise no deal...

Locally:
    Pawn Shop
    Gun Show
    Gun Store
    Gun Smith
    Auction (Estate sale)
    Privet Buy

Note: Depending on where you live depends on the law for guns.

18. drewthefan123

drewthefan123 Member