Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Mynarski Lancaster to travel to UK this summer

Discussion in 'Living History' started by Big Daddy, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Member

Hi All,

I am sure this news has been posted here but my searches don't seem to come up with anything.

http://www.warplane.com/lancaster-2014-uk-tour.aspx

"The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum is pleased to announce that they will be flying their prized Avro Lancaster to England this August for a month long visit. The Lancaster will join the only other airworthy Lancaster in the world, owned and operated by the Royal Air Force's renowned Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF), and participate in several events and activities while overseas.

The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum's Lancaster will depart from Hamilton, Ontario on August 4th and plans to arrive in England on August 8th. The North Atlantic crossing will include en-route stops at Goose Bay, Labrador, Canada, Narsarsuaq, Greenland, and Keflavik, Iceland, prior to arriving at the BBMF, RAF Coningsby. Shortly after arriving, the Lancaster will undergo a scheduled maintenance inspection and then the Canadian crews will complete a short training program with the BBMF in preparation to participate in several air displays and fly pasts with the BBMF Lancaster and fighters starting on August 14th.

Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum President and CEO, Sqn Ldr (Ret.) David G. Rohrer C.D. who is a current Lancaster pilot, indicated that this year, "a rare window of opportunity was identified to bring the only two flying Lancasters in the world together as a special salute to all the veterans of Bomber Command, many of whom are in their late 80's or older now." It is also an opportunity for the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum to fly together and showcase a flying display and tribute to all those who served in the time of need, in Canada, England, and the entire Commonwealth that likely will never be seen again.

Further details and a schedule of the entire trip will be finalized in the near future and released."

My wife and I plan to make the trip from Canada as well in August to see this historic event and I am wondering if any other forum members will be there. Perhaps we can arrange a get-together.

Cheers,
    Don

2. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Ugh, stinks to be in the states sometimes.