Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Napoleonland" Theme Park planned!

Discussion in 'Military History' started by GRW, Jan 20, 2012.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Honest!
    "After almost 200 years, the last thing you would think the French want is a daily reminder of the devastating military defeats at Waterloo and Trafalgar.

But now a theme park is being planned in honour of Napoleon Bonaparte - and will stage daily re-enactments of the victories for Wellington and Nelson.
    Dubbed 'Napoleonland', the attraction is likely to be built on the site of one of the military leader's most famous victories.
    If funding is secured for the £180million park it is expected to create 3,000 jobs and could ultimately emerge as a rival to Disneyland.
    There are plans to build it at the site where Napoleon defeated the Austrians in the Battle of Montereau in 1814 in Montereau-Fault-Yonne just south of Paris.
    The six-day battle was the nation's last military victory over the Austrians.
    The Battle of Waterloo, which put an end to Napoleon's rule in France, is expected to be recreated on a daily basis and visitors may even be able to take part in the reenactments.
    They will also be able to take in a water show recreating the Battle of Trafalgar.
    A museum, a hotel, shops, restaurants and a congress are all expected to be built at the park."
    French plan 'Napoleonland' theme park which will stage daily reenactments of Battles of Waterloo and Trafalgar | Mail Online

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Put it this way . Suppose Hitler escaped in April 1945, he'd manage to come back with the crumbles of his army , unite his troops once again march through Belgium for another 100 days.....

3. GRW

Sounds like a business plan, skip!:p

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

not only, it should also be a great game area for re-enactors

5. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

Jeremy Clarkson's newspaper column should be good tomorrow...!

6. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Hi Skipper,

if you ever will open up a theme park with the topic you wrote, can i be the facility manager,..Jawohllllll? :D

7. belasar

belasar Court Jester

lets see Beheadings of King Louis and skiing around frozen corpse's .....Sounds like fun for the whole family...If your related to Dexter Morgan.

8. GRW

[​IMG]

Very interesting...but stupid...

9. Mehar

Mehar Ace

For the past five minutes I've attempted to write a response to this statement but I'm simply speechless...

I think this article might be sensationalizing this a great deal, I've heard from people that there is a subset of French society that idolizes Napoleon to a great degree (even outside of France due to his legacy) so the idea of a park dedicated to him could certainly be plausible but the "skiing around dead bodies" bit raises a flag (unless the author is trying to point out the fact that it will be built on top of a former battlefield but it's not worded very well).

10. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

You must be THIS TALL ____ before you can ride.
    I'd pay for a Josephine Whirlarama.
    Drive the Napoleon mini electric cars, while eating Tom Thumbs.

11. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Hilarious as it is, I feel I should point out that anything reported by the Daily Mail has to be taken with a large pinch of xenophobic salt.....;)

12. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I think the author was trying to be funny , for a start there is no snow in the area and no water either (so far the Trafalgar and the skiing joke) and the park will be made for tourists not for Historical idolatry.

Focussing on Trafalgar and Waterloo will in fact make the reader forget that Napoleon ruled the continent for years despite international coalitions and occult the fact he Conquered Europe from Moscow to Spain , from Croatia to Northern Germany , conquered Berlin twice and annexed Cologne, Parts of Italy , Holland and Belgium etc....

Napoleon is not ideolized , but the Political correctness debate which tends to minimize what he did and compared him to Hitler just stinks. He was a conqueror, not better than one, not worse. So if the Turks respect Ata Turk and Soliman , the Russians Stalin , the Greeks Alexander etc... then the French can have theirs .

Sloniksp likes this.
  13. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

The key weasel-phrase to me is : -

'IF funding is secured....'

As in - IF funding is secured, Martin Bull will buy a Bf109G recovered from Russia, plus an original Tiger tank, plus......:D

14. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

To be honest I cannot see it a rival to Disneyland anyway...

15. GRW

16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

you owe me a coffee Gordon, watching that video made me spill it :D

17. GRW

I love that song!