Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Navajo Code Talker Alfred K. Newman

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by ColHessler, Jan 15, 2019.

1. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

U.S. News and World Report https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...lker-alfred-k-newman-dies-at-94-in-new-mexico

WINDOW ROCK, ARIZ. (AP) — A Navajo Code Talker who used his native language to outsmart the Japanese in World War II has died in New Mexico at age 94.

Navajo Nation officials say Alfred K. Newman died Sunday at a nursing home in Bloomfield.

Newman was among hundreds of Navajos who served in the Marine Corps, using a code based on their native language to outsmart the Japanese in World War II.

During World War II, Newman served from 1943-45 in the 1st Battalion, 21st Marine Regiment and 3rd Marine Division and saw duty at Bougainville Island, Guam, Iwo Jima, Kwajalein Atoll, Enewetak Atoll, New Georgia and New Caledonia.

Newman is survived by his wife of 69 years, Betsy. They had five children, 13 grandchildren and three great grandchildren.

Funeral services are pending.

Otto, lwd, TD-Tommy776 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

TD-Tommy776 and ColHessler like this.
  3. WILD DUKW

WILD DUKW Active Member

Does the repository include the Hopi Code Talkers?

4. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

It does not contain them as yet, but I'm open to their inclusion.

WW2.org is a site that @Fargo & I started a couple years ago as a repository for the data that we generate on WW2F & WW2Talk. The goal is to be a repository for all WWII subject matter. It uses the wiki platform, and covers anything/everything from post-WWI though WWII up to and including the Korean War, with a focus on Biographies.

Documentation is in the works, so the purpose and scope of WW2.org are currently unclear, but I'm gearing up to reveal a lot of what I've been working on recently, WW2.org being a major pillar of that .