Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Nazi Gold Train" Found in Poland?

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by George Patton, Aug 19, 2015.

1. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

There's a number of websites carrying this story tonight. Does anyone have information on the facts (if any) behind this?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33994483

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Not seen anything really that isn't already in that story, I'm afraid.
    Not inclined to believe it at present.

3. Takao

Takao Ace

While I am very pessimistic about the story. It's curious that the men are asking for 10% of the contents of the find, I can only presume that they have an idea of the contents therein.

4. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Kinda looking forward to the updates on this one.

5. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Even if it's just wooden boxes of ration cans, helmets and moldy uniforms, it would still be a very lucrative find on the collector market. I would suspect that if it was actual gold and art, there would be photos to prove their claim. They must have found "something" or they wouldn't have wasted money on hiring a legal team.

6. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

how do you 'find' a train?? was the train buried?? was the gold stashed in a secret compartment that has just be ''found''?? Daily Mail has a little more details http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3206594/Mystery-Nazi-ghost-train-deepens-Second-group-comes-forward-claim-discovered-locomotive-two-years-ago-map-went-missing.html
    kind of hard to believe no one, locals or Germans, would know about it and not say anything after all these years...as Kody said, the train itself should be very interesting and valuable...not as much as gold, of course, to the majority of people
    the DM article talks of gold being shipped in May 1945....did the Germans still have the power to keep something like this a secret??

7. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Seems it might just be full of equipment and not gold after all-
    "Polish officials searching for a Nazi ghost train believed to contain billions in treasure claim to have found it – but say it may just be carrying military equipment.
    The hunt has captivated the world since two men came forward last week claiming to have found a World War Two train packed with gold near the Polish city of Walbrzych.
    But the treasure hunters – a Pole and a German – have demanded a reward for revealing its exact location."
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3212463/Nazi-gold-train-just-contain-military-equipment-say-Polish-officials.html#ixzz3k1OQg9JP

rkline56 and George Patton like this.
  8. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

if no gold, I still say a fantastic historic window

9. George Patton

10. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Wow! The myth is beginning to take on substance!

11. Triton

Triton New Member

I don't believe a single word.

Poland has 3 or 4 times the density (population) of the USA, it is just impossible that an entire train disappears for 70 years.

12. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

It's quite possible. There was a tunnel through that hill during the war. After the war the tunnel wasn't there any more, both ends were blocked and the rails leading in removed. They could easily have pulled a train in there and hidden it. Of course, there are many other reasons the tunnel may have been closed. Maybe it was bombed and unsafe, so they just shut it down and used the rails somewhere else. There are many reasons why the tunnel might have been blown, but the equipment they are using indicates an armored train in there. I don't know how good the equipment is or how effective the operators of that equipment are, but it's certainly an interesting development.

13. George Patton

I don't find it implausible that a train could have been hidden for 70 years. Park it in a tunnel, demolish the entrances, leave it be for a few years and it would look like an ordinary hill in a war-scared region. The part I found implausible when this story broke was that a train could have been "hidden" in the first place without any records or witnesses surviving, and that said train contained gold and other valuables. Given the recent developments in the story (the location was found after a "deathbed confession" and the Polish government has verified that a train is indeed buried there) I now say that the story is possible

That's not to say that I believe every word of it, but there is certainly enough evidence that has emerged to make the very plausible claim that a train of some sort is in the tunnel. Whether it is carrying gold, jewelry or art is another story. Hopefully the Polish Government starts to dig soon. The longer we wait, the more poorly-founded speculative claims will emerge. Today there was one story from the Daily Mail that the train was carrying the Amber Room!

14. Takao

Takao Ace

IIRC, the problem is that if the gold is "German" gold, then the salvors are in the good. If it turns out that the gold was stolen, from various states and/or private citizens, by the Nazis during their occupation of foreign countries...Then, the salvors are on precarious grounds in receiving any financial benefit. Hence, they have gotten the lawyers involved to guarantee that the salvors receive a portion of whatever is recovered.

15. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

In an article I read when the story first broke, they explain that this was a closed area (at least to any remaining Poles in the area). They had expanded abandoned coal mines as storage depots and manufacturing plants. Rail lines ran in and out of this closed area. Then understand that this area was annexed by the Reich as German Silesia and after the war almost all the resident Germans were driven out or even killed when it became Poland again. So, if you think about it, any Germans who did know the secret fled west and then the Iron Curtain clamped down for 40 years. There's no reason anyone who did know about it wouldn't assume the Russians took it long ago. Nearly all of those people would be dead by now.

I'd say there is a solid chance something is in that tunnel. It may just be an abandoned train or crates of machine parts. Who knows? I don't know why they haven't drilled down 70 meters and dropped a camera in. I love a mystery, but I love a solved mystery even more.

16. George Patton

I found photos from a Polish website showing groups of boreholes drilled through the hill in question. They looked to be around 3" in diameter -- big enough for a small camera. The treasure hunters may have already dropped a camera in before going public. IIRC the Polish Deputy Minister of Culture said he saw "pictures" of a train. "Pictures" may have meant the ground-penetrating radar image, or physical photos of the train.

17. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

This is almost as exciting as the Burmese Spitfires ! :spin:

18. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

rare footage has emerged of some of the original train guards.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbbx2Qjoeps

.....it may be a tough job to get to that train....... :adolf:

19. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

A great tourist trick too. The Poles themselves claim the area is "as famous as the Lochness" now. let's wait and see.

20. George Patton