Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Nazi Stealth Plane that could have bombed NYC!

Discussion in 'Wonder Weapons' started by I♥Shermans, Dec 3, 2009.

1. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Here is a link to a site which gives a pretty good "timeline" of the uranium used in the Manhattan project.

Goto:

How Uranium from Great Bear Lake Ended Up in A-Bombs

2. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

I have been doing some additional research on this topic and find that these two points which I posted in an earlier message are incorrect.

Germany actually had, by September, 1939, a committee of physicists working under the auspices of the German Army Ordnance Bureau, looking into the potential military uses of nuclear fission. Thus, Germany was the first country in the world to have a military project to exploit nuclear fission. This project was, however, hampered by the fact that many of Germany's first rank nuclear physicists had left the country in the 1930's as a result of Hitler's purge of Jewish scientists.

The second point that I posted was that Germany had no significant source of fissionable material. Again this is incorrect. Germany itself had no uranium deposits, but German-occupied Czechoslovakia did have the Joachimstahl mines which at that time represented the largest known deposits of uranium in the world. This ore was, however, mostly low grade (compared to that of the Belgian Congo mines) and required a good deal of processing before it could be used in a reactor or nuclear bomb.

I regret my error but trust this message will correct it.