Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Nazi troops were captured on camera parading through the London in 1936

Discussion in 'Prelude to War & Poland 1939' started by PzJgr, Nov 4, 2009.

1. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

The amazing photo shows Nazi supporters saluting a procession through the London, as Nazi troops carry a coffin draped in the swastika flag. Taken in 1936, the scene shows the funeral procession of German ambassador Leopold von Hoesch - who was not a supporter of Hitler's, and often disagreed with the Nazi leader. After von Hoesch's death, the role of German Ambassador went to Joachim von Ribbentrop. The black and white photo, seemingly Britain's worst nightmare, was snapped 3 years before the start of World War II when governments around the world were still attempting to avoid confrontation with Third Reich.

Nazis march through London - Telegraph

And more pics here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ace--day-London-played-host-Nazi-funeral.html

Richard and Tomcat like this.
  2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It looks almost anachronic, It gives an idea of London if Goering had won the B.O.B . Fortunately he didn't.

3. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I find it amazing at the bystanders giving the Nazi salute even though this is pre-war.

4. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Wouldn't any nation drape the ambassador of another nation in their flag? And wouldn't it be appropriate to provide an "honor guard" for said diplomat in time of peace?

Neither the salute nor the flag belonged to an enemy at the time afterall, and the British Fascist Party was still a legal party as well. It is odd in view of the events yet to come, but only in hindsight I think.

5. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Yes, it is protocol I believe. I don't know about the salute though.

6. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

The only ones doing the Nazi salute were the Nazi ambassador corps, and those observers in the balconey (that I saw), and they could very easily be O. Mosley's party members of the British Fascists, and not just ordinary British citizens.

The Military men directly behind the guys doing the Nazi salute (in uniform), are giving a "hat touch", not the stiff arm. I still don't know that the salute would be illegal or anything since it had become by then a "normal" salutation in Nazi Germany. Both civilian and military, but not all military in Germany honored the practice.

7. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

8. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Those are the ones I was talking about.

9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Given the benefit of hindsight, those pictures are bizarre. The Grenadiers next to the Nazi flag is unsettling, but given the 1936 political reality, it is understandable. None of them could predict the events three years in the future. Still, an interesting look at a bygone time.

10. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

An excellent find PzJgr!

What a site to see. But than again as mentioned before, this was at a time of peace.

11. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Say Ike, I finally got a lead on who those persons were on the balcony giving the Nazi salute. That was the balcony of the German embassy itself, and those were German nationals, i.e. embassy personnel of lower rank and not in the procession, and other German nationals working in or living in London at the time.

Those who gave the Nazi salute in the parade route were British Fascist Party members (O. Mosley's followers).

12. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Thanks for the followup. That does make sense as far as who they were.

13. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

The salutes are coming from officialdom..I dont see any public bystanders.

14. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Not sure how you can tell who is who on top of the then, german embassy. But there are a lot of arms raised up there. To give the nazi salute to a man who wasn't even a hitler supporter.

15. BouncingSoul87

BouncingSoul87 Member

There was a program on TV a couple nights ago called Nazi London and it was hosted by a cab driver who set out to find out just how much the Nazies infiltrated London.

The picture was brought up, although the building is the embassy, the host seemed doubtful that the people giving the salute were just embassy personnel because there appeared to be so many of them. He was more inclined to believe they were actual British subjects. Great program though.

16. redcoat

redcoat Ace

A cab driver ??????

17. BouncingSoul87

BouncingSoul87 Member

A cab driver- who had an interest in history. He drove all around London it was great.

18. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

It's all there in the Mail piece;

Film of von Hoesch's funeral was uncovered by London cab driver and historian Harry Harris, and forms part of a Discovery Channel programme, Wartime London with Harry Harris, to be screened on Sunday.

No wonder you can never find a bloody cab... :p

19. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

so all london cabbies are indeed nazis..i always thought there was a link...had that guy..goerring in the back once...euston?? you can walk that guv..

20. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

Haha!

"I'm not going east of the Rhine at this time of night." :D