Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Need books on German and British North Africa battles

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by SGT Killjoy, Sep 13, 2005.

1. SGT Killjoy

SGT Killjoy Member

I'm just simply trying to find a good book focusing on Rommel in Africa, and also a book on the British in Africa. Thanks.

2. Major Destruction

Major Destruction Member

Crucible of War by Barrie Pitt would be my recommendation. It is written as a soft cover trilogy from an earlier hard cover 2-part book. (bilogy?, dualogy?)

"With Rommel in the Desert by Heinz Werner Schmidt - bantam paperback - would give you a quick and cheap read from the German perspective or "Panzer Battles" by FW von Melenthin, also.

3. Major Destruction

Major Destruction Member

I recently acquired "The Rommel Papers" edited by Liddell Hart

Haven't read it yet but I think it is about as close as you might want to get to "a good book focusing on Rommel"

4. Major Destruction

Major Destruction Member

Here's two more that I have to recommend.

For early war accounts, get Thomas Jentz "Tank Combat in North Africa". After reading Crucible of War, this one will force you to think again. Tank details - indeed all details are very well researched. A 'must have' if you are into the Desert War in more than a cursory manner or if you are interested in wargaming or modelling.

For later war accounts get "The Campaign for North Africa" by Jack Coggins. If a book can be judged by its cover, this is not one of those. Concentrating on the post-Alamein perion, this book is crammed with detail, maps, drawings and readable text.

5. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Panzer Battles by F.W.von Mellenthin focuses on Rommels campaign, strategy, and other details on desert armoured warfare.