Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

need help finding what unit my Uncle was in the Battle of Bulge, POW Stalag IX-B

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by cdougher, Jan 14, 2011.

1. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

You're welcome, jmr. I had forgotten to suggest the 100th Division Association, but when I went to the website they had a dissolution notice posted. Fortunately, the Marshall Foundation (which I mentioned above) will be maintaining an online presence for the 100th.

Since you have your grandfather's discharge papers, you may want to consider hiring a researcher to track down more specific information on your grandfather's movements during his time in service. However, be forewarned that this can be very expensive.

2. Earthican

Earthican Member

This site has some detail about the defense of Rimling, though it is vague on how the 2d Battalion took over from the 3d Bn.

I have a scan of a contemporary map of the area, if you want to study this battle.

Military History Online - American Stubbornness at Rimling

3. TD-Tommy776

Doh! I had forgotten about that article. I read it some time ago. Thanks for posting it.

If jmr isn't interested, I am and I like maps. :D

4. TD-Tommy776

5. Earthican

Earthican Member

Here's the map for Rimling. I expect the forum software to convert the file to JPEG with some loss in quality.

I usually drop a copy of the image into MSPaint and try to sketch the description of the battle as I read. When done I just close without saving. It's a good way to study the battle and try to figure out how terrain was used.

Attached Files:

6. TD-Tommy776

Thanks for the map, Gary. I had to laugh, though, when I noticed "Moronville Farm" on the map. It is mentioned a couple times in the operational documents of the 776th TD Bn. Two companies of the 776th were attached to the 397th during the battle at Rimling. This was when the somewhat debated "first kill" of a Jagdpanzer occurred. However, that would be a topic for another thread. ;)