Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Need some help with 3 hisotry questions.

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Lukee, Feb 8, 2009.

1. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The USN doesn't necessarily have to be destroyed to loss Midway. They could have failed to find the Japanese and vice versa and the landings could have happened.

Also, the loss of the three USN carriers at Midway would not have completely emasculated the USN. By the time the Japanese had regrouped and prepared for an invasion of Hawaii the Atlantic fleet carriers would have been in the area. And, with that imminent threat, the US Army would have reinforced TH even more than already done. Remember, we started the war with two divisions of infantry there.

Operation Torch would probably have been put on hold while the US troops were diverted to defense of Hawaii. So, in the end, the attack on Midway as a means of gaining a advance base for an attack on Hawaii was pointless. However, the real point was to lure the US carriers into battle, and in that the Japanese succeeded. They just didn't get the results they rather arrogantly expected.

2. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

In the grand scheme of things a successful US defense of Wake would have contributed very little to the "War in the Pacific". It did; however, prove that the Japanese could be beaten and provided useful intelligence to the Japanese conduct of battle.

3. lwd

lwd Ace

Which would likely have resulted in a Japanese defeat. The Japanese expected to find a defense force on Midway roughly equivalent to what was at Wake. There were a lot more US troops there. Their landing plans were also somewhat less than sophisticated.

4. OpanaPointer

Washington was having kittens during the battle. They wanted Nimitz to let the landings happen and then eliminate the Japanese on the ground after the IJN left. I wonder if any of them had sons on Midway? :rolleyes:

As a sidebar, I think the biggest mistake the Japanese made at Midway was not following John Ford's directions. It would have been a great movie if they'd just listened. :D

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

A few observations:
    1. The discussions are fascinating. I'm not diving in because I don't have the military knowledge so many of you have.
    2. It's interesting that the focus of the thread has been on the first of the three questions asked.
    3. Where is Lukee? He started this thread and has disappeared. Did he just use the first posts to do his homework?:confused:

6. lwd

lwd Ace

That hasn't stopped people in the past...
    That's because it's really the only one most of us would like to discus it's also the most open ended and yet amenable to facts.. No 2 is pretty much a personal choice and depends a lot on things that aren't clear. No 3 has been discussed to death and most of us hold pretty firm opinions on it (and most of us probably agree).
    That's certainly possible. It would be nice if he came back and joined in the conversations. It's not even clear if we were of any help to him. In that regards and referring to an earlier post.

Maybe this deserves a seperate topic but a consensus might be worth while.

In my view if someone is looking for information they are worth encouraging. However I don't think we should be giving direct answers to homework questions. So pointing out referances and things to think about as well as critiquing responses is probably the way to go. After a week or so the deadline will probably have passed and if the questions raised are interesting more detailed responses may be appropriate. In this particular case I feel the initial poster is to be commended because he told us up front it was a homework problem.

7. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I agree. I don't have any problem with posing alternatives and suggestions for further research. As a former teacher, I fear that some might just take a few of the opinions and use them as fact without following up on the suggestions. I guess, though, that anyone who would go to the trouble of joining this forum would have a little bit more on the ball...I hope.

8. arca

arca Member

Good point.It would be rather difficult to take Hawaii in any case.Even so,with US Pacific fleet lost(what battle of Midway for me is about),Japs would hold strong initiative,cut off Australia,perserve its elite air formations,and very significantly force US to conduct any future offensive or invasion over vast distances of ocean relying only on the fleet,with land bases far behind..

9. OpanaPointer

IMHO Australia would have been "cut off" only if New Zealand had been taken. And as Sauron found out, taking on the Kiwis is not a good idea. :D

10. arca

arca Member

Sauron?Is he that crack Japanese hunter?

11. OpanaPointer

"Lord of the Rings" was filmed in NZ. :D

12. arca

arca Member

Yeah,I know, I just couldn't resist.:D

13. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Even nicer if he said 'thank you all very much.....'