Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Needing info on The Dutch in NY, Jackson MI and Australia

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Jennifer Plesman Jackson, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

Jennifer Plesman Jackson New Member

Ok, thx, will post there. You have the right to change your mind on the Fokker guess! :)

CAC likes this.
  2. MarChant

MarChant Member

3. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

Wonderful find!!! I do think this is the very same airplane and the same event. The man shaking the hand of General Oyen (in my pic) is the same man welcoming him off the airplane in this widipedia pic. I have no clue what they were doing in Midland TX other than it's an oil town. I may try to see if I can find anything else about that. I am unable to see the widipedia entry. Where did it say it was taken? It's late here but I can go see if I can find it by searching in the morning. Thank you so much! This is quite a treasure hunt...

Jennifer

4. MarChant

MarChant Member

On the Dutch Wikipedia the caption says "Arrival of Van Oyen at Royal Netherlands Military Flying School in Jackson" but the subscript reads "General Ludolph Hendrik van Oyen (right), tasked with completing the Flight Training of Dutch Airmen departed to Australia, greets USAAF Brigadier Isaiah Davies (left) commander of the Midland Flying School in Texas (USA) (ca. 1942)" so it is unclear to me wether it should be Jackson or Midland.
    Ludolph Hendrik van Oyen - Wikipedia

On the English Wikipedia the caption only reads "Ludolph Hendrik van Oyen (Generaal NL) 1942" but the subscript reads "Major General Ludolph Hendrik van Oyen (right), commanding the Royal Netherlands military forces in the United States, exchanges salutes with USAAF Brigadier General Isaiah Davies (left), commanding Midland Army Flying School, as the Netherlands general arrived to attend graduation of another large class of Dutch and American bombardiers at the world's largest bombardier college at Midland Army Flying School, Texas (USA), ca. 1942."
    Ludolph Hendrik van Oyen - Wikipedia

5. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

I think I found the Midland Connection ... See the link below...

Midland Army Flying School, Texas. Major General L.H. Van Oyen (right), commanding the Royal Netherlands military forces in the United States, exchanges salutes with Brigadier General Isaiah Davies (left), commanding Midland Army Flying School, as the Netherlands general arrived to attend graduation of another large class of Dutch and American bombardiers at the world's largest bombardier college.
    Midland Army Flying School, Texas. Major General L.H. Van Oyen (right), commanding the Royal Netherlands military forces in the United States, exchanges salutes with Brigadier General Isaiah Davies (left), commanding Midland Army Flying School, as the Netherlands general arrived to attend graduation of another large class of Dutch and American bombardiers at the world's largest bombardier college

6. MarChant

MarChant Member

As for the airplane, I'm now almost certain it is a Lockheed Model 12 Electra.