Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Neutral Discussion Regarding Election 2016

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by Poppy, Nov 8, 2016.

1. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

"Things are never so bad that they can't get worse". We just proved it.

2. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

I wonder how much worse? Scary proposition

3. Tamino

Tamino Doc - The Deplorable

But, why should we weed the "negative" from our perception if the truth is of higher importance than "morality", whatever "morality" may mean? Why should we deprive ourselves from possibility to express our sound judgement? If we go back to the election, the mainstream press did everything they could to prevent disclosure of relevant information because the information did not fit into the "reality" they wanted to create. Somewhere else I have made a reference to James Woods who stated: " It's truly astonishing that some guy hiding in the Ecuadorean Embassy is doing more for TRUTH in this election than all the American press." It is not that the press did not know about the leaked information. They did everything to hide the truth. Cover-ups have added to the defeat of Mrs. Clinton.

I do sincerely apology for going off-topic here but it was necessary to make myself clear.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

How about this? "When things are at their darkest, it gets darker". I'm afraid we're in for four years of darkness. It will be bad.

5. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

I was commenting purely on the quote. Which, in essence, can be taken out of context for many things. I appreciate and respect any persons right to express themselves. However, the major component and fear for our current president elect was/is his snap judgements regarding race, gender and morality. Both of their politics I had them at a push and had reservations regarding both plans. Who knows what is going to happen, but, as I am a product of my environment of living in urban, rural and suburban settings I cringe at the hateful message we endured throughout the campaign.

Sorry, I'm just venting now...

6. belasar

belasar Court Jester

The OP's request was not unreasonable as the thread was intended to have people talk about their voting experience without partisan comments. Once the polls began to close at 7:00 eastern time, naturally comments on the results were going to take place.

I considered splitting off those comments but decided to leave as is to avoid us having two similar threads running at the same time which becomes confusing as people begin counter replying between threads.

Tamino likes this.
  7. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

We just elected the lesser of two evils. However, I think there's something more at work here, I think the voters got tired of BOTH political parties manipulating them and not listening to their concerns. If you look at where Trump won he pulled a lot of votes in heavily Democratic areas. Some in the news have been talking about a great re-alignment, neither party will be run by the fringe elements.
    That being said, if the Democrats had run anyone other than Hillary, with all her corrupt baggage, I don't think Trump would have stood a chance. I also think the political elite are having to re-evaluate their relationship with the electorate. I don't think they can count on getting their friends in the media to push a narrative and get the sheeple voters to fall in line and follow their infinite wisdom, because they know what's best for them. This applies to both parties. I think the voters told the Republican elites that no longer will you pick and choose our candidate. I think the Democrat elites found out that they can't rig the nomination process, put in place the person they want and have the rank and file fall into line and vote for them.
    I think the biggest underlying cause for the surprise is we're fed up with Washington politics as usual. Having the two sides of the same coin keep us divided and angry with one another over marginal fringe issues. The Republican President-elect, the Republican Senate and Republican House had better do what's right by the American people as a whole or in two or four years, they'll get the smack down for not taking care of business.

*removed double negative

8. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Over all I tend to agree, for the strong partisan on each side's establishment just doesn't get the frustration so many voters feel.

9. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

You mean, a sordid history of keeping the urban strip on each coast from preying on the rest of the country? Without it, we'd have dirty mayors like Rahm Emmanuel and Bloomberg running the country, forever. With it, candidates have to take the needs and wishes of the deplorables in fly-over country into account.

10. denny

denny Member

Actually...No.
    I meant what i said...not what You Said.
    BTW...in 1786 they were not flying, were Heavy into slaves (as today), and were not anywhere near 2 coasts of urban strips.

11. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Well I for one am happy it is over, you Yanks can draw this nonsense out over far too long a time. Politics are not a sport and quickly become boring. Mind you same could be said about the Vancouver Canucks.

KTK

12. Dave55

Dave55 Member

13. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Actually, in the 1786 election it was an attempt to exploit a weakness in the Electoral College that led to the problems. This "gaming of the system" was corrected by the 12th Amendment (Ratified 1804). As it turns out Adams was elected President with 71 Electoral votes and 35,726 popular votes (53.4%), Jefferson was elected Vice-President with 68 Electoral votes and 31,115 popular votes (46.6%), so the Electoral vote did not change the results of the popular vote. Kodiac's point is still valid, now it's the two coasts and a few massive urban areas, then it was a small portion of urbanized New England. A single large urban area can still lead to control of a single state, but the electoral system mitigates it's ability to have the same influence on the national election. Look at Illinois in this election, Clinton won Cook County/Chicago, (Cook County has a population greater than 29 of the States and more than the combined populations of the seven smallest states. She won ten additional counties, most the Chicago suburbs, for a total of 11 counties out of 102 or just 11% of the counties, but all 20 electoral votes went to her. So while Chicago could determine what the other 89% of the state did, it couldn't cancel out the wishes of the people of the seven states whose combined population it exceeds (if in fact their wishes differed from those of Chicago).
    There are 3142 counties or county equivalents in the US. The ten most populous counties (.32% about 1/3 of 1 percent) contain 12.5% of the population, 38,628,397 people. If not for some system to mitigate their influence on a national level, they would be able to exert undue influence on national policy and eventually the rest of the nation would become dissatisfied in their lack of a voice in government and we'd break apart.

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  14. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

15. denny

denny Member

I understand what you are saying, and the alleged logic for the system. I am not trying to defend it, it already is broken and many of our citizens already are "dissatisfied".
    All the power should not repeatedly go to one of the two factions of the Elite Party that excludes all others from the electoral process.
    These are supposed to be our elections, not Watergate every four years.
    We need some kind of representational governing.
    If Garry Jonson gets 10% of the vote, he should have a Say/Input at The Whitehouse...same with Jill Stein.
    This is not supposed to be the NFL Super Bowl, where some guy "Wins" an the other team "Looses".
    This is supposed to be about Democracy and making life better for our citizens.
    That cannot happen if we repeatedly exclude a rather large percentage of the population.
    I have NEVER had any input at The Whitehouse. We have already broken apart.

Mr Trump claimed the election was rigged and there were all kinds of illegals voting, dead people voting, people voting twice, etc etc.
    Is that how he was elected.? :)
    I wonder how many of HIS campaign promises will evaporate.?
    Good Luck Everybody.
    Mumia Fan Club :)

16. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Keep it neutral guys. Poppy asked nicely and I intend that we will hono(u)r his request.

It is reported that in the county where I live, the turnout of registered voters was over 69%, the highest it has ever been. I can believe it.

17. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Yeah, what he said. Keep it neutral boys or else someone will have to call out the wah-bulances for all the sore losers who are still waiting for the sky to fall. I'm glad the system worked. Someone not in the club of career Washington elites gets to run the show now. Makes me proud to be an American.

Could be worse. At least the price of .556 didn't go up. Actually there are some deals to be had at Sports Academy and Cabela's here in town.

Did the Canadian website for immigration get back up, or is it still down?

How about the air traffic controllers at LAX? How are they handling the rush of Hollywoodites leaving the country? Maybe we can get some decent movies made now.

And those anti-Trump demonstrators demonstrating in various major cities around the country. They should be grateful that they are in a country where they can get out and do that without being really oppressed, like shot, run over by tanks, or rounded up and sent to gulags.

It's a wonderful day to be an American.

USA!!!! USA!!!! USA!!!! USA!!!! (that's what they were chanting at Trump's victory speech last night)

Meanwhile, back at the Clinton ranch...,

https://www.facebook.com/christopher.d.palmer/posts/10210148417654265

rkline56 likes this.
  18. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

Remnants of Richard Daley's machine, Boss Tweed's Tamanay Hall in NYC.

19. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

That's because the "Two Party" system is extra-Constitutional, it is not part of the electoral process as defined by the Constitution, the Electoral College is. Two separate issues.

20. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Active Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRJ-UWKQtTs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2YkbO2IaWY