Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New armor museum to be built in Dubois Wyoming!

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by harolds, Jun 4, 2018.

1. harolds

harolds Member

Last November I was hunting deer in the mountains near Dubois and from a high hill I looked down in the valley. Where there used to be sagebrush hills I saw instead a huge mansion with a big bunch of buildings around it. I later found out that a very rich person owned it (natch) and the buildings housed his collection of armored vehicles. I wondered how I could finagle a way in to look at it. Anyway, I won't have to sneak in since it was just announced that he (Ken Starks, ex-fortune 500 exec.) is building a 145,000 sq. ft. museum on 27 acres near there. Right now he has 237 vehicles and hopes that to have 250 by the time it opens up next year. Dirt work has already begun. I'll send updates as soon as I get new info.

Moderators, move this if it's in the wrong place.

PzJgr, ColHessler, USMCPrice and 2 others like this.
  2. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Another fantastic excuse for me to go to Wyoming again! Thanks for the heads up Harold.

3. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

An excuse for me to go the first time! Thanks, Harold.

JJWilson likes this.
  4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I have friends out that way. When it opens I'll thank them for inviting me to stay with them for a few weeks.

I have to see their place anyway, they had a bear den under their deck all winter. The space under the hot tub (always on) was evidently ideal for a mom and two cubs.

CAC and JJWilson like this.
  5. harolds

harolds Member

An update: Went fishing up by Dubois yesterday. Right near one of my favorite fishing holes was the site for the museum. Lots of dirt had been scraped off, footings pored and some concrete pads placed. So, progress is being made. The builder bought land from the Parker Ranch (remember Parker Pens?) east of Dubois and is just off U.S. Highway 287.

PS: For you anglers: the water was still high but I still caught several brown and rainbow trout! :D

6. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

I'm guessing all units will be displayed at the ground floor. In any case, that's some vacation: hunting and a remote museum. The curator sometime in September:

"Why are all visitors in hunting garb?"