Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New Book based on finances

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by GunSlinger86, May 24, 2021.

1. GunSlinger86

GunSlinger86 Well-Known Member

Conjuring Hitler: How Britain and America Made the Third Reich.

There were serious financial implications to support Fascism, as those countries also did in Italy.

I like books that look at the behind-the-scenes areas that most people want to overlook or avoid talking about. I'm going to read it.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  2. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Does it mention who financed the sudden industrialization of the Soviet Union?

ColHessler likes this.
  3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Stalin socialized all the foreign companies in the early 30's.

4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

5. Takao

Takao Ace

That was done in 1918 by Lenin.

Stalin made deals with foreign companies to build factories, train Soviet workers & management, in return for the USSR purchasing their products, after so many years(usually 10) the factory would be turned over lock, stock & barrel to the Soviets.

6. GunSlinger86

GunSlinger86 Well-Known Member

7. Takao

Takao Ace

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Are you totally sure??Stalin made the foreign affairs socialized totally way later when he was in total power. Lenin died early in the 1920's. Kph

9. Takao

Takao Ace

I misunderstood what you meant by Stalin socialized all the foreign companies.

I thought you meant nationalization, which Lenin did to all private & foreign companies...They became the property of the State.

What do you mean by socializing foreign industry...I've never heard of that.

Kai-Petri likes this.
  10. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Sorry. Stalin made the foreign companies the property of the SU and thus made their value his own and his country's.

11. Takao

Takao Ace

Ok, that is nationalization, which Lenin had already done.

Stalin made deals with Western companies to build factories, train workers & management, and to produce & sell product. After so many years, the factory would come under ownership of the Soviet Union. This was all part of the deal and included in the price the Soviets paid the Western companies. Thus, Stalin did pay for the factories.

Whereas, Lenin, in 1918, just took the factories. Which made the Western companies rather angry.

Kai-Petri likes this.
  12. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Sorry, I seem to recall that as Stalin started the industrialization of the USSR he used any means to make factories available including foreign ownerships i.e. factories, mines etc to make the USSR big again. He had decided that the country would be productive in all areas. I think it was the first 5-year plan that ca 1929 that was his opening plan to make productivity huge compared to prevous times.

13. Takao

Takao Ace

No, Lenin took over all foreign businesses in 1918, and declared all Tsarist debts null & void. As a result, there were no foreign businesses for Stalin to take over. As a result no foreign businesses came to the Soviet Union after 1918.

Stalin realized he would have to entice foreign business to come to the USSR, which he did by paying first, but he stipulated that the foreign factories would, after 10 years, become Soviet property. Since the foreign business had already been paid, they agreed to the deal.

Kai-Petri likes this.
  14. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Reading about old articles it is sorta funny Stalin said Ford was god sent. Then again Ford, if I understood correctly, made close co-operation with Hitler??

15. Takao

Takao Ace

Ford closely cooperated with anyone willing to pay his asking price.