Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New here and searching

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Mike G, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Mike G

Mike G Member

Hi, My name is Mike. I live in Georgia, USA. My grandfather was in ww2 from 1941 to 1945. i have his discharge papers and not being a military person this info is behond me. He died in 1976 when I was 11 Years old. I'm the only grandson, great grandson etc that new him and kinda new of what he did in ww2. But all his metals, flag everything has been put away by his son who for what ever reason don't want anyone to see. I for one am very proud of my grandfather and I have heard he did. I have come up with a copy of his discharge papers. I'm trying to find out as much as I can about what he did, where is was etc. I'm also going to try and come up with a copy of all his metals and get a flag to display my self and show ALL his great, great great and now great great great grandkids what a hero he really was. Not sure if this is the place to put this info but forget me if its not.

His name was Rayford W. Sloan from Moultrie, GA. He was a PFC Rifleman 745. Army number 34 086 433. He inlisted at in 1941 and dishcarged 1945 from Fort Mcpherson. My problem is a lot of the stuff on this page I don't know what it is and really have no idea where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Otto likes this.
  2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Scan it and post it, Mike, and maybe we can help you.

I would try again to look at what he brought home and take a camera with you.

3. Mike G

Mike G Member

Attached Files:

4. Takao

Takao Ace

If you can, post a scan, or photo(most digital cameras have a document setting), I am sure that there are several members who would be glad to help you in deciphering your grandfather's discharge papers.

5. Mike G

Mike G Member

Did you click on the Doc-....PDF......does that not work? New to this.

6. Mike G

Mike G Member

I do know he told me after he was wonded the last time out of
    3 they wouldn't send him back so they made him a PM till he was released.

7. Mike G

Mike G Member

Attached Files:

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

It works just fine, Mike. Your grandfather had a very active war. He was awarded the Combat Infantryman's Badge (CIB) which was a coveted award in WW2. [​IMG]

He also won a Purple Heart for wounds (actually 3 times, based on the Oak Leaf clusters). The EAME award had a silver star on it, which signified 5 named campaigns (they are listed on his paperwork). He also was awarded a Good Conduct Ribbon and an American Defense Service award. You can read about the ribbons here Ribbons - Order of Precedence. He also qualified as Expert with a bayonet, which allowed him to wear this [​IMG]

He also won a Bronze Star, based on the award of the CIB. He was allowed to wear the Ruptured Duck, which signified his Honorable Discharge. There is other stuff, but this should get you started.

9. Mike G

Mike G Member

Ah man that is awesome. I didn't know any of that. Thanks so much.

Does it tell what group he was with or how would you find out?

10. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

1st Infantry Division, it says it at the bottom of the discharge paper. Also judging by the dates and destinations (boxes #22 & #36). Your Grand Dad was the Real Deal.

Box#4 "Arm of Service" which has "CMP" is Corps of Military Police would make him an MP.

A couple of the General Orders ( GO) listed in box #33 has a reference to "18th Inf" and HQ 936th. Which would mean that he was in the 936th MP Company of the 18th Infantry Regiment of the 1st Infantry Division.

Box #33 also states that he was awarded a Purplr Heart with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters (OLC) which means that he was wounded 3 separate times.
    Also in Box#33 it mentions his European African Middle Eastern Ribbon w/ one silver star which means he participated in 5 battles or campaigns.

(really should have read all of Lou's post before I posted the last two sentences)

I rarely say this, but, you probably need to watch "The Big Red One".

Krystal80, TD-Tommy776, Biak and 2 others like this.
  11. 693FA

693FA Member

Mike,
    Welcome to the Forum! Can't add alot here but can tell you that you may want to write a request to NARA II in College Park Md. requesting copies of the General orders for his Bronze Star and Purple Heart. Most of the info you need for the request you already have...name, unit, G.O.# etc....
    Can also check out the link below if you need to find address and stuff.
    Veterans' Service Records

12. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!

13. Mike G

Mike G Member

Thanks a ton guys. I was just lucky to get the discharge papers. My uncle got it for us from the court house or local VA or something in their town. We have been told for years because of the fire there was no records. Glad I found this forum. You guys are great.

14. DaveP

DaveP Member

Mike - check out the thread I started on my grandfather titled ... On mission for my grandfather. Yours left the theatre at almost the same time mine arrived, October of 1944. My grandfather was seriously wounded 2 months into his tour and sent home. I have found and corresponded with a friend of his from the war, the guy actually saw him get shot, and never knew what happened to my grandfather until I found him a few weeks ago. He said I solved a 67 year old mystery for him. He remembered the day and situation vividly.

My grandfather has the CIB but not the Bronze Star, so I am actively trying to attain that for my grandfather (who passed away in 1977), and any other medals he should have but doesn't. Good luck.

15. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Mike, you are a good grandson and I believe that your grandfather thinks so, too. You are doing a wonderful thing in keeping the memory of his service alive in your family. When you are ready to do so, I encourage you to post a tribute to your grandfather in the Roll of Honor and Memories section of the Forum. After you do so, I suggest that you email the link to everyone in your family. I think you will be surprised at the positive response you will receive -- maybe even from some you would least expect.

I look forward to reading more of your journey in researching your grandfather's War service. Be careful, though. It can be addictive.

16. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Welcome Mike, Keep at it and good luck. Anxious to see more on your Grandfather!

17. Mike G

Mike G Member

Thank you! Yall are awesome! I talk to my mom which this is her father. There is a guy that is still alive that you to talk to my grandfather a lot before he died. My grandfather would not talk to family about his experiences in the war but to this gentleman he did. I do know my grandfather saved some lives on some bridge they were protecting or something. The machine gunner was killed and my grandfather moved over to the machine gun at the bridge. He said he remembered doing that and was wonded the 3rd time and next thing he rememberd was waking up in a hospital. The more I look in to this the more I want this.

TD, i will for sure do that!!! I still remember the day he died like it was yesterday.

Dave P, I'll check it out. That will be intersting to read. I wish you the best of luck.

Biak, Thank you. I'm defiently on a mission now for sure!

18. Spitfire_XIV

Spitfire_XIV Member

Hello there Mike and welcome to the forum :)

19. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

20. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Mike,
    I took a WWII Separation form (like the one you posted--WD AGO 53-55) and explained each box. I tried to upload it to the Forum but it's too large. Send me an email and I'll attach a copy. Really think it would help you understand everything on the form. Dave

formerjughead likes this.